The Firearms Forum banner

High standard camp gun

8K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  dbooz 
#1 ·
I called my self searching through the post but could not find an answer. I have a high standard 22 cal. nine shot revolver, and I am in need of a extra cylinder in 22 LR. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

#4 · (Edited)
Ozo thanks for the reply, I'm really not sure, I guess I should have checked that kind of info out before I posted. I do know that it has a six inch barrel, but besides the serial number, all it had on it was Camp Gun.

I do know it is double action, has wood grips, and resembles the pics of the R107 from unblinkingeye link you sent.

#5 ·
High Standard introduced their Sentinel revolver line in 1955, probably at the request of Sears Roebuck, which was a major customer and owned quite a bit of High Standard stock. Sears wanted a low-cost kit gun or “tackle box” revolver to sell under their J.C. Higgins brand. It was sold by Sears as the J.C. Higgins Model 88. The J.C. Higgins guns were given distinctive grips, cylinder flutes, and cylinder release pins. Private label versions of the Sentinel were also made for Western Auto and Armamex.

The Sentinel was a 9-shot .22 revolver. It was advertised to have an anodyzed aluminum frame, a high-tensile carbon steel barrel and cylinder, single-stroke multiple ejection, a swing-out counterbored cylinder, a movable square-notched rear sight, a non-slip scored trigger, a diamond-checkered grip (though they didn’t mention it was plastic), and target accuracy.

The innovative design was completed by Harry Sefried, High Standard’s young design engineer, in a mere six months. Sefried wasn’t afraid to incorporate good ideas wherever he found them. The squared-off grip on the first model was modified from the Colt New Model .36 Pocket Pistol of 1862, and one shooter was said to remark that it was “the first decent grip on a revolver since the Civil War.” It remains to this day one of the most comfortable revolver grips I have ever encountered. The simplified cylinder lock design was taken from Hugo Borchardt’s experimental revolver of 1876, which he designed while working for Winchester and which was observed by Sefried during his own five years at Winchester. The gun, like the Broomhandle Mauser, is screwless but for the grip screw.

#8 · (Edited)
I found my serial number on my inventory sheet, I have a S5XX3 number, the serial numbers on the web page start with R-100 and go through R-109. My gun was purchased new in the mid 80's. I also failed to mention that it has an adjustable rear sight, like the one on the Mark IV.

Oh, and by the way thanks for the link to NRA NEWS,I am a member, and will bookmark this link!

#10 ·
Your right about that.

Found a pic of the camp gun by googling high stand camp guns for sale, first link was gunsamerica, but it was an old auction. The picture is identical to my gun. Well that might get me started on the way to getting that spare cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.