High Standard H-D Military 22

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Straitshooteryoubet, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Straitshooteryoubet

Straitshooteryoubet New Member

I have read some post about the take down procedure of this pistol but can't find an answer for my question. I can easily remove the slide from my H-D but when I put it back on it will not slide back unless I push the take down lever and then it will not return to battery. It does not have any spring tension to make it go forward automatically. It appears that the action spring in the slide needs to be compressed and captured by the take down pickup button on top of the slide. I have tried to do this but I can't compress it enough into the front of the slide to catch it with the button. Can someone out there please help me figure out how to do this procedure? Thanks Straitshooteryoubet
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Straitshooteryoubet:

Post you question on the High Standard Forum of the Rimfire Central Forum. There are many experts there that really know these guns.

A word of warning: Do NOT remove any pins or levers from the gun until you get the slide off. If you do it goes "sprong" on the inside and then the only way to get the slide off is with an end mill in a milling machine, destroying the slide.

The correct way based on my limited knowledge of this series guns is to pull the slide all the way to the rear while depressing the button on the top of the slide. That captures the recoil spring and the slide will no longer be spring driven to close. Then you operate the lever on the right rear of the frame. That lever is the slide stop and operating that lever gets the stop out of the way so the slide can travel off the back of the frame. But if you pull that lever out of the gun before you get the slide off you get into the situation I warned you about above. I think this is the way to get it apart (??).

I have the Ameircan Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) course on all the Hi Std guns and am very familiar with the later guns, just not the HD model. AGI says the way I reported above is the way to get the slide off.

LDBennett
  4. jondar

jondar New Member

I havn't used my HD-M for a few years and had forgotten a little about removing the slide, so got it out and checked. As you know, the proper way is to oull the slide to the rear, push on the button which compresses the slide spring, let the slide go forward a little, depress the lever on right rear and remove the slide. Are you saying that you think the slide spring was not compressed when it came off the gun? If it was compressed, all that should be needed is to depress the lever, slide it back on, let the lever up, retract the slide fully to the rear to release tension on the slide spring and let the slide go forward. There can be no spring action to hold the slide forward in battery unless the spring tension is released. I apologise at my poor way of giving directions, but maybe I didn't understand fully what the problem is. Don't do anything that you may have to replace the slide spring, I have replaced two and it will make you a nervous wreck.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Striatshooteryoubet: Assuming you have the slide off of the gun and you can see the recoil spring it is not compressed. When compressed you cannot see it at all. To re-compress it you need to take a small punch and push on the back of the spring guide. Once you start compressing the spring you should be able to see that the nob on the back of the spring guide has a small recess in it and it is that recess that the little tail on the flat spring in the top of the slide that is actuated by the little button on top of the slide. Like LD said do not start taking out any pins before taking the slide of of the gun. I can show you how to get the slide off without a milling machine and without hurting the gun but lets hope we don't have to go there. Also if you search H-D Military or my post you will see some other post I have made on the subject of these guns. The H-D is one of my favorites and while I am just a hobbiest I do pretty well working on them and I am here on this forum to help and learn. Please feel free to PM if you like.

One more thing, when trying to compress the recoil spring often times it is very difficult because the spring is fully or near fully compressed when set and you have to get real serious with it at the very end. If you simply cannot compress it enough to hold it with the button on top of the slide then it tells me that someone has replaced the spring and it is too long, that is unless the gun was working at some point in time before you got where you are at.

Ron
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Straitshooteryoubet

Straitshooteryoubet New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I found out the recoil spring in my H-D is not even the correct spring. This spring was in the gun when I bought it. I have ordered a spring from Wolf which I will have to cut to proper length. Straitshooteryoubet
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Straitshooteryoubet: When you go replace that spring it will help if you have access to a lath. Take an old piece of aluminum 22 cal. cleaning rod and trim enough off one end about an 1/2" long to a diameter that will just fit inside the spring. You might want to check that the rod you are using will fit in the spring hole. Do not tapper it but rather leave a shoulder on the rod as to be able to push the spring in. If you have the ability to cut a small notch at the shoulder of the rod all the better to facilitate the next step, if not perhaps a sharp dental tool will do. Push the spring in and then capture it through the pin hole in the slide with the dental tool so you can remove the rod. Now with the pin hole lined up in the spring plug pin hole you should be able to put it in with your fingers and then I use a punch that will just go in from the top of the slide to retain the spring plug. That will allow you to put your pin back in from the bottom of the slide as opposed to the top which will eliminate any danger of scaring the top of your slide by trying to drive the pin in from the top.

Ron
  8. ed22high

ed22high New Member

ok i need to know that trick for getting the slide off my high standard the pin kinda fell out now cant get slide off.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Sorry guy but you are screwed. You'll have to take it to a Hi Std gunsmith or send it to Houston Texas High Standard (call first). Think expensive!

I did make the warning pretty clear.

LDBennett
  10. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Sending your gun to High Standard may be your best bet.

However it may neo be necessary depending on what other dumb things you did after you took to pin out. If you moved the slide and th stop lug moved out of place you need to determine where it is before considering a remediation plan. If the stop lug in still in place, you should be able to put the take down lever or a slave pin back in and follow the standard takedown procedure.

Page 2 of this link gives the proper take down procedure.

This type problem has been recently discussed on my High Standard forum. with two believers that it casn be done. The degree of difficulty will be determined by the current location of the internal parts.