1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

High Standard HD Military Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ubepastillas, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ubepastillas

ubepastillas New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm new around here, but with all the good input I read, I hoped I might get some help with an issue. Have an HD Military that I picked up recently, but first trip to the range the pistol had issues. The hammer follows the slide down about every 5th shot. When I thumb the hammer back, it fires OK. I took it apart and the sear/hammer look like they have plenty of meat where they engage, so it does not look like worn out parts. Before I started spending money, I was hoping there might be an simple fix. Thanks for your input.
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

you might want to post this in Technical Questions & Information
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Its probably the hammer hooks are worn and not matching the face of the sear or the sear spring is binding up in the frame bc of rust or fouling. Its not a super hard fix but it can take some time bc the sear face must match the hooks
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It could also be a failure of the sear bar to disconnect. Hard to tell without seeing the gun.

Jim
  5. ubepastillas

ubepastillas New Member

I will take a closer look at those sear components and see if that's it. thanks for the input
  6. B27

B27 New Member

Are you shooting standard velocity or HV?
    The steel frames on old HS pistols are not hardened.
    They can and do crack with a steady diet of HV, I've got one right here to prove it.
  7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Hello B27,

The cracked frame phenomenon is limited to only a few of the 13 High Standard design series. Historically the hammer letter series is not one with a history of frame cracks.

Actually the High Standard pistol frames were all made from AISI 1045 forgings and were indeed hardened but not to a high or medium hardness.

Which design series High Standard do you have that has the cracked frame?
  8. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

One possible cause for the hammer not to reset is a sluggish sear. There are a couple of different configurations for the sear spring and plunger. Sometimes the one with the longer plunger gets gummy from old oil and is slow to reset. So slow as to miss catching the hammer notch. TI is also possible that the sear pin could have teh same gummy problem but it is less common.
  9. B27

B27 New Member

The Supermatic Citation has a crack which so far has not caused any problem with functioning.
    The crack was there when I bought the gun.

[​IMG]
  10. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Yes, beginning with the large pushbutton 102 design series and later, the frames have a history of cracking. Keeping a fresh recoil spring in the gun will help as will using standard velocity ammunition. The spring will actually wear and its wire diameter will thus be reduced in effective diameter resulting in a reduction in force. It is suggested that when acquireing one of these that the new owner replace the spring with a new one and then change it every 12,000 to 15,000 rounds.

THe other frames that have a history of cracking are the letter series with the type I-A or I-B take down. The crack on these forms at the left rear of the frame between the slot for the pin that actuates the slide stop for takedown and the top of the frame.

The Model H-D Military does hot have a history of frame cracks but I do not recommend High Velocity ammunition for it. The part that fails is the stop lug at the thin section where the take down lever shaft passes through it.