High Standard Model B HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pagosawingnut, Oct 11, 2011.

1. pagosawingnut

pagosawingnut New Member

One of my friends just brought me a High Standard Model B that they tried to dis-assemble. They broke the knob off of the takedown lever on the right side and then started disassembling the pistol with the slide on. I am at a total loss of what to do. the hammer and slide are still attached and I do not have the knowledge to finish taking this pistol apart and reassembling it. Any suggestions other than it becoming a paperweight?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Do not remove the hammer or the sear or any pins from the gun until you get the slide off the gun. Any attempts to take it apart without the slide off may require milling a hole in the top of the slide to push the slide stop down to get the slide off. Then you'll have to repair the slide.

Go to this web site where the man there works on High Standard pistols. An email to him may allow you the answer or sending him the gun may fix it:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/otherstuff.html

I really hate it when people take stuff apart when they haven't a clue as to how it is done correctly and the thing get ruined.

LDBennett
  3. pagosawingnut

pagosawingnut New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Too late for that. The gun came to me in a bunch of pieces in a baggie with the hammer and various other pieces along with the slide still in and on the gun. The good news is that High Standard in Houston replied and said they could fix the problem but may require some new parts. I will send it to them and he can pay the bill.
    I had never had a Ruger MK II apart until one of my friends took his totally down. He spent 2 weeks trying to put it back together. I figured that one out in about 45 minutes but this one has kicked my butt.
    Again, thanks for the quick reply.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I wonder how many people take their watches or car engines or computer hard drives apart "just to see how it works." But they take guns apart for no better reason, then dump them on a gunsmith to reassemble. That wouldn't be so bad, but when the gunsmith charges them, they whine that "it cudduna been that hard and I cudda dun it maself esep I dint have time."

Jim
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:DO I confess that I have taken many a watch apart just to see how they work, never could put them back together again:) Now a car engine or even a L-11 Turbine engine, I can take them apart, shake all the parts on the ground, reassembly them and fire it up, Hard drives, that's my sons expertise.:D
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

ripped a few VWs apart and got it back together. i did a hard drive swap and it took me 2 days to put it all back tried an outboard and took it to the marina and spent the bucks having it put back together.like Harry Callahan said, mans gotta know his limitations
  7. LDBennett

We all have a first time but it is how or even if we prepare ourselves that determines if we are successful. I have a library of "take down" books that go at it a step at a time. I have AGI videos for some of my guns. And I have an engineering degree. Education never hurts.

LDBennett
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

René Descartes was supposed to have said that if given any object he could immediately determine its function. I have wondered what he would make of a microchip.

Jim
  9. tommixx

tommixx New Member

agi video on the hi standard is exelent information on the take down and reasemble
  10. LDBennett

I have 12 AGI assembly/disassembly videos plus two years of their "club" monthly magazine, each of which has an assembly/disassembly video of one gun in it. All are super excellent.

LDBennett
  11. pagosawingnut

pagosawingnut New Member

I know me, I could screw up an anvil with a rubber hammer. Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen but the pistol is on it's way back to High Standard in Houston. Probably fix it better than new and that way I won't have to take a grinder to the slide and hopefully be able to find another slide to replace it with.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The trouble with those pistols is that one simple mistake at the start of takedown can really mess things up and a broken part just adds to the mess. If you know the drill and follow it, the guns are simple to take down; if you don't....

Jim
  13. pagosawingnut

pagosawingnut New Member

Yes, Sir! I know my limitations and this one exceeds it by a lot. I have a grinder but don't have an extra slide. Also don't have the knowledge to fix the problem.:bleh:
  14. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I bought a stripped Model HD Military in a parts deal, it's alot like the Model B. There were lots of HS parts in that deal, not all of them for the Model HD! It was lots of work. But, when I was done, it was well worth the work. The pistol is accurate and fits my hand well. The B and HD are great old plinking pistols.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  15. zomborama

zomborama New Member