High Standard Model "B"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Road America, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Road America

Road America Member

Does anyone know what year a High Standard Model "B" serial number 36026 would have been made?
    I am fixing one, the firing pin is busted. I can see why this would break, it's from dry firing it too much. The block that the hammer hits on is peened badly too. If the slide is pulled back to check the chamber on this gun, the hammer gets cocked and there is no way to uncock it except to dry fire it. That doesn't seem like a great design.
    Anyway, it looks like Numrich Arms has the parts.
    Jim S.
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Probably made sometime in 1937 and shipped in 1938.
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

36,026 shipped 8/17/1938 and was probably made in mid 1938.

You do not need to let down the hammer. I doubt you worry about releasing the tension on your car's suspension or valve springs.

If you hold the slide back just a little , you can drop the hammer and the parts will have a little cushion instead of a harder knock. This will prevent teh firing pin from dinging teh breech face of the barrel.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Road America

Road America Member

Thanks SGVictor, I'll try that when I get it back together. Actually, it's not the barrel face that the hammer hits on, it's the inside of the slide, where the rear of the fireing pin sticks out. That slide is sort of an interesting piece- if you look at it from a machinists point of view your first thought is how could they have gotten the hole for the firing pin in there? The hole goes from 1/8 on the outside to 3/16 on the inside with no way of getting at the bigger part. They must have used a teensy pull up cutter attached to a 1/8 shank. Little bitty fingers would have helped I guess.
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Typically the damage done by dryfiring is the dimple in the barrel but my method provides some cushion in any event.

Yes, it is amazing to see how they machined a lot of these parts mostly using simple jigs and fixtures. Yet the standard hours for most of the parts would be hard to better with our best automated machines. This firing pin hole would be hard to automate.
  6. Road America

Road America Member

Well, I ordered the firing pin and the little retaining pin from Numrich, and got an envelope from them yesterday. All they sent was the little retaining pin - they said they are out of the firing pins and don't have any source to get more. I have a little lathe, (also around a 1938 I guess), so I could make one but it wouldn't be hardened like the original. Is there any other company that would possibly have one? Any other ideas? Thanks
    Jim S.
  7. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Try Jack First in Rapid City South Dakota
  8. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

9. Road America

Road America Member

Thanks guys. Wisner is a machine shop that remakes parts, where evidently Numrich mostly sells parts that they have gotten from old stock, etc. It's good to see a business in the USA making stuff - we need more of that. I'll get that old pistol shooting yet!
    Jim S.
  10. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Next time stick an empty case in the chamber and click off the firing mechanism.