High Standard Model HD-Military pistol help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by racing33, Jan 4, 2009.

1. racing33

racing33 New Member

Hello,
    I am a new user of this forum and a novice firearm user. I was given a High Standard HD-Military 22 pistol by a close family member. This pistol is in pretty decent shape and still operates correctly except for one issue that I have not been able to correct as of yet. The issue is when I shoot the pistol everything works fine except that the hammer does not lock into the ready to fire position.What I mean to say is that every time I fire this pistol I have to manually draw the hammer back with my thumb before I can fire another round. Can someone here help me with this issue???
    Thanks for any help given
    Bruce
  2. racing33

racing33 New Member

Hello,
    It looks like I have found the problem with my firearm. After studying the drawings and parts lists it looks like the sear spring for the sear bar is missing. Now can anyone tell me where I can locate one of these parts or can it be fabricated at home????
  3. wildwilly911

wildwilly911 New Member

4. racing33

racing33 New Member

Thank you.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to the forum, racing33. As you can see, we have a great bunch of people here.

Pops
  6. jwhitjr

jwhitjr New Member

Good evening everyone, this is my first post here. I purchased a High Standard for Christmas. A made in 1953 Sport King SK-100. Wonderful shape, not been fired much, if at all. So I loaded it up last weekend and went to the range. . . bad.

It would fire, eject the spent case but would not go back in battery. The slide stop lever on the right side of the pistol keep it from going back. If I pushed the lever, it would go back and fire but in the 10 rounds in the clip, to would stop 7 or 8 times.

As I am new to this gun and no diagram, am I doing something wrong or is the pistol in need of repair?

Many thanks for your help and look forward to being on the forum.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Please take a reread of your post as I am bit confused but it sounds like the slide hold back lever which is designed to hold the slide open on just the last shot is doing it all the time. The first thing I would do is try another magazine because that is what actuates the lever and if that does not cure the problem you need to take the gun to a smith that really understands High Standards because the mechanism of the slide can come apart internally making them very difficult to then get apart. I have an H-D Military in my shop right that has happend to.
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

With all due respect by looking at the drawings and thinking the spring is missing does not comport with the facts. If you can manually cock the gun everytime why would you think that the spring is missing? Meaning if the sear spring is missing the hammer should not cock. My guess and admitidly its an educated guess is that the cocking notch on the hammer is bad and the reason you can cock it manually is that you are doing it more gently than when firing. Please keep in mind you have to be pretty handy and have the right tools to take your sear or hammer out of your gun.
  9. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Here is a link to a parts diagram and parts list for a SK-100.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/spbpistols/0127D150R.pdf

The slide locking back when there are still rounds in the magazine is caused by the absence of the slide lock spring and is not related to the sear bar spring.

I have not found any Sport King Sk-100's from 1953. It appears that the early serial numbes that suggest 1953 were all actually shiped in 1954 or later.

Note to Mudober, The problems typical for the Model H-D Military from imporper disassembly and reassembly are not found on teh SK-100 which is three generatiosn of design later than the Model H-D Military.
  10. jwhitjr

jwhitjr New Member

Thanks to all with the help. I understand that the tiny side lock spring is easy to overlook if you are not familiar with this pistol. The guy who owned it before I did said afterward that he never had fired it. So the spring could have escaped anywhere over the last 50+ years.
    Now, after getting a spring, where does it go and how is it fitted? Also, anyone have any leads on a adjustable rear sight? Thanks again guys!!!
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

If it is the trigger bar spring and not the sear spring you lucked out but I don't think so because the lack of the trigger bar spring should not keep the gun from cocking but rather it would not allow the pulling of the trigger to fire the gun which you say you can do. What I still don't understand is how you know (or thought you knew) the spring was missing and yet you don't know where it goes.

At the top of the left grip panel there is a piece of thin metal "side plate" that looks like spring steel. You have to remove the grip panel to take it off. DO NOT take this side plate off until you take the slide off of the gun. Once you take the side plate off you will see the trigger bar and it will appear that the slot for it is bigger than need be but the reason is that it needs the room for the trigger bar spring. There is a little notch in the bottom of the trigger bar to keep the spring from going fore and aft. The spring is inserted so it looks in the U position as opposed to a mountain position if you get my drift. When you get the side plate off you can cock the hammer moving the sear with your finger at the same time and should be able to feel a little spring tension if the spring is there. If not lets us know and I will try to walk you through it but it isn't going to be easy.
  12. jwhitjr

jwhitjr New Member

Thanks Muddober. I removed the right side grios and there was no tiny spring near the side lock lever. If i lifted the back of the lever, there was no problem. It did not hang. So, I believe that the lack of a spring is the problem. Would you know where I could get one and how it's installed? Thanks again.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Go to Brownells. If you have a schematic they have a list of the parts by name and Hi Std identifier:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sc...760&m=7&mn=High Standard®&model=H-D Military

I believe you want the slide latch spring, Brownells item 44 430-000-224, Hi Std part name HD55.

This is a tiny little spring that hold the slide latch down so that in recoil it doesn't bounce up and catch the slide, just as your pistol is doing. When the last round is out of the magazine, the button on the side of the magazine that is attached to the magazine follower, pushes the latch up against the tiny spring and the latch catches the slide in recoil. It is easily lost and easily smashed if installed incorrectly. On the military models, which have a similar spring but apparently not the same one (??), simply installing it in the gun distorts it so it pays to have a spare around as eventually the spring gets so bent as to no longer work correctly (poor design??).

LDBennett
  14. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

LD,

You have come in at the end of a hi jacked thread. The topic changed from a Model H-D Military to a Sport King SK-100 so the Brownell's part you recommended will not work.

jwhitjr,

Brownells does have a spring HS P/N 1255 similar to the one you want HS P/N 1155 that I believe you can make work.
  15. muddober

muddober Active Member

SG, You are right we are working on two different guns with two different problems within this same thread. I am going to back off for tonight and I will jump back in when specifically asked. I am not the least bit mad (not that anybody cares) I just don't want to make matters worse. Also if anyone wants to PM me I will be more than happy to help. I have a lot of experience working on High Standards and they can be a bit tricky.:)
  16. jwhitjr

jwhitjr New Member

Sorry about messing up the posts. But thanks to each for your help.
  17. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Sorry to have lost the path of the thread but.... if a person goes to the factory parts section of Brownells Web page then they can find the correct spring for either the HD or the Sport King. Agreed they are different. I specifically checked that out before my previous post.

LDBennett
  18. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Hello LD,

The needed part is P/N 1155 which I do not find in the Brownells catalog but as I said before I believe the P/N 1255, which is listed, can be made to work.

Hello Muddober,

I too have some experience with High Standard pistols and have dealt with some of the problems ones encounters from time to time.
  19. muddober

muddober Active Member

SG I can tell; have you ever had an H-D handed to you that the slide recoil/return spring had gotten past the slide stop? What fun that is. The only way I no how to do it is to cut a little notch in the mag well with a small file that will allow you to drive the spring retaining plug pin down from the top of the slide so you can remove the spring from the front of the slide. Then and only then was I able to get the slide off the gun. If you know a better way I am all ears as I do not consider myself the last word on much of anything.:)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  20. muddober

muddober Active Member

SG, have you ever had an H-D handed to you that the slide recoil/return spring had gotten past the slide stop? What fun that is. The only way I no how to do it is to cut a small notch in the mag well with a small file that will allow you to drive the spring reatining plug pin down from the top of the slide so you can remove it from the front of the slide. Then and only then was I able to get the slide off the gun. If you know a better way I am all ears as I do not consider myself the last word on much of anything.:)