High Standard Sport King No slide lock

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Sotakaseme, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sotakaseme

Sotakaseme New Member

I have a high standard sport king. It was made in New Haven, Conn, so i believe it to be the 1950-54 model. I cannot figure out how to field strip this gun. IT does have what appears to be a release button below the beginning of the barrel. Any help would be great.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi Sotokaseme welcome to TFF.
    Are you sure there is no slide lock? This is the steps if you have a slide stop. With out one i am not sure.
    1st-Put on the safety then pull back the slide and lock it with the slide stop.
    2nd-You have to push in the button that is under the barrel. This is under ALLOT of pressure so you may have to use the side of your bench to push it up against.When the button is all the way in you can lift up on the barrel and remove it.
    3rd-Hold on to the slide and take off the slide stop(push it down to release the slide) Hold onto the slide when you do this or it will shoot off the front of the gun it has a strong spring.then just let it slide off the front.
    Re-assemble in the reverse order.
    Mike
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

Early ones didn't have the slide lock. They also didn't have a button.
    They had a latch under the barrel.

I just hold the gun in my right hand, barrel pointing to the left. Grab
    the barrel with my left hand, thumb on the bottom. Press up on the latch
    with thumb, slide barrel off, slide slide off. That's about as far as you
    need to go.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The "lever" style take down is much easier to use than the later push buttons. My Field King from that same era is this lever style take down. As you remove the barrel the slide will want to follow it. Control the slide so it does not fall off the gun after the barrel is removed. The slide comes off the front of the receiver. This setup is so slick and much better than the hard to push button of the later models.

Be sure to only shoot Standard Velocity ammo through this gun and to replace the recoil spring regularly as it wears thin moving in its cavity in the slide. Use only the original 5.5 lb spring or the variable rate Wolfe 6 lb spring. Both are available through Brownells.

There is a very active High Standard forum as part of Rimfire Central including a guy that can change out your recoil spring for you (jaybar).

LDBennett
  5. Sotakaseme

Sotakaseme New Member

Hey thanks for all that, see I've tried lifting the lever and the barrel won't budge, maybe I have a faulty release or I'm pulling the wrong direction?
  6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

push the release towards the bbl muzzle.
    the works can be goo-ed up.
    take a soft rubber mallet and tap the muzzle few taps. then try it again.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

On the early model, barrel doesn't lift up, it slides forward. Once the barrel is off, release the slide lock and the slide will move forward and off the frame. You don't need to take it any further down unless you are a gunsmith.
  8. LDBennett

Here is the instructions for removing the barrel. It is from a book from the 1950's.

Attached Files:

9. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

I bought my SK 100 (Early Model) in the strangest of all places, the Air Force Base Exchange in Thule,Greenland in 1955 (yes, they sold guns in base exchanges back then). The gun was supposed to come with two barrels, one 6 inches long and the other 4 1/2 inches long. The 4 1/2 inch barrel was missing so I got the gun for $35.00.
    I've been looking for a 4 1/2 barrel ever since.
  10. bobski

bobski Former Guest

plenty 4.5's out there. just keep looking, clank.
  11. Sotakaseme

Sotakaseme New Member

And for my last question, i've looked on other forums and plenty of people are asking the same thing. Where can i find a high quality magazine for my sport king. It belonged to my great grandfather and it seems the magazine was misplaced. Any ideas?
  12. LDBennett

Sotakaseme:

You really need to go to the High Standard part of the RimFire Central forum. There are tons of people there to help you there with Hi Std problems and questions. This forum here is a good forum but it just is not very deep in Hi Std people. There are several collectors at Rimfire Central that know EVERYTHING about Hi Std's including the day your gun left the factory.

Here's the story on Hi Std magazines:

Today there are three sources for magazines... The used market for original Hi Std of Connecticut made magazine; new Triple K magazines; and new Hi Std of Houston Texas magazines.

The Triple K magazines are junk because the lips are not hardened. They loose tune which is a big thing with Hi Std's as they feed directly from the magazine lips without the aid of a feed ramp. If the lips change over time the gun will then fail to reliably feed ammo.

Identifying original magazines is an art form I have yet to master. They all look alike to me. There are no absolute markings mostly because there we're none originally and they were produced over 30 or more years. To me buying a used old magazine is a crap shoot.

The final choice is brand new magazines made by the current Hi Std Company of Houston Texas, but you have to be careful about their magazines. Until recently their mag lips also were not hardened. Only the very latest ones are hardened. If you buy directly from them or from Brownells you get the latest greatest magazines with hardened lips already tuned for CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Most people find them to work perfectly from the get-go.

I have no experience with new magazine for the slant grip guns like yours as I have only bought mags for my two Military grip Hi Std guns (the mags are different!). So you may have to search around a bit on Brownells web page of OEM parts or call Texas High Standard to determine availability.

Hope this helps and I'll look for you on Rimfire Central..Hi Std forum.

LDBennett
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

And I've been trying to find the 6" for mine! I'm 9 miles down the road in Dixon, wanna trade?:D
    I don't know who makes these mags, but the ones I've got from them for other gun makes were quality mags.
    http://www.gunclips.net/hdmihist.html
  14. LDBennett

The key for the Hi Std is hardened lips. The only ones I know of that have hardened lips are original Connecticut Hi Std mags and the latest TX Hi Std new mags. Any others are unknown (??) and most certainly the Triple K mags do not have hardened lips.

If you have mags that you need identified then the guys/gals at Rimfire Central may be able to identify whose mags they are.

LDBennett
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member