High Standard USGI

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wdfoto, Jul 10, 2011.

1. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

I have located a 1942? HS-HD military with government stampings "Property of US" in two locations and also a stamp of the crossed cannons. I don't recall the serial number, has a 4-1/2" barrel. I think is a early one because it is blued, not parkerized. I understand that the military purchased High Standards for practice and some were silenced for the OSS and CID. Any information (values and quantities) about the government issues will be helpful.

thanks
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

It should be a High Standard USA MODEL HD, not a "HD Military". That
    was a later model (1945-1950)

Early USA HD's were blued, up until around SN 130,000.
    Roughly 34,000 manufactured 1943-1945.
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The transition from blued to parkerized occurred around serial numbers 128,00o to 130,000. These guns were not always shipped in order and in this serial number range there are shipments around both ends of this range on the same and nearby dates. I suspect that it is more a date based transition than a serial number based transition.

around 34,000 U. S. A. MODEL H-D Between September 1943 and May 1945 - serial number range around 104,000 through around 145,700. Note within this range tere are numerous guns not shipped to the government but were shipped to civilian customers after the war.

around 2,500 to perhaps 2,620 U.S.A.MODEL H-D MS The OSS silenced model Serial numebr range 110,074 through 127,917 January 44 through October 44 !20 ordered in 1945 are not found to be shipped. Further research required.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) JFWIW, The military Criminal Investigation Division (CID), Regardless of service branch or what it is called, does not use silenced firearms, they are more police and not spooks.
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

While the CID did not get the silenced pistols, the CIA did and still has them in inventory including some with serial numbers that do not trace to the WWII production and which do not appear in the factory records. The USMC still has them in inventory.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Hello SGVICTOR, True, the CIA did, but the poster typed CID, perhaps he meant CIA ( which didn't exist in WWII ) but when ever I assume I find my foot in my mouth.:D
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unconfirmed story: As WWII wound down, a local dealer decided to be first in line for new High Standards, and placed an order. To his astonishment, he received a crate of pistols. When opened, the crate turned out to be full of silenced pistols. About an hour later, while he was still wondering what to do, two FBI men showed up and took the crate.

Jim
  8. wdfoto

wdfoto New Member

Thanks for all the information. This helps in making a decision, but what is the value of the HD with about 95 to 98 percent blue.
  9. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

in original configuration, blued, original grips, and original magazine teh value for a 95% to 98% gun woud be in teh $750-$900.

John Stimson