High Standard

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MasterLaz, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MasterLaz

MasterLaz New Member

My grandfather produced a small firearm today and I told him I would help to determine the value if possible. It is a High Standard, Sentinal Deluxe, r-106, still in the original box with the original paperwork, never been fired. Any ballpark figures?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

New in bow perfect never fired it is worth about $150 if it is Blue finish
    Nickel worth about $180
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

If new in box with papers, my opinion is that the value in blued finish would be $205-$230 and if nickel $225 - $250 if sold to a true collector.

I do not understand the preoccupation with a gun's being fired. All High Stadnards were fired at the factory. I perfer to buy a gun on what I see by examining it and not the story about it i.e it has 1. "not been fired", 2. " fired less than a box", 3. " fired less that a couple of boxes", . 4. add your own common tale.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

"I do not undestand the preocupation with a gun's having been fired..."
    SG, like other home appliances, I would often have the display model, over a sealed carton; I know the one on display works!
    I don't collect commemoratives, for that reason, alone.
    Would anticipate the worth of the Sentinel to continue to rise, condition remaining the same, because they were not big production, to begin with, and are (obviously) no longer being made.
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

These Sentinels were not particularly scarce guns. They made over 25,000 in the R-106 4" barrel, over 25,000 in the R-106 6" barrel, over 50,000 in the R-107 4" barrel and over 50,000 6" barrel. These were the blued versions. There were smaller numbers of nickel plated versions of these same revolvers whic makes the total revolvers in the R-106 and R-107 design series total just under 200,000 guns.

It is certainly true that they are not making any more although the designs tooling and remaining parts were sold at the closing auction in 1984.
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Yep, and just how many are NIB and unfired since leaving the factory??

LTS
  7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

"How many have survived NIB and unfired since leavinf the factory?"

This is of course the $64,000 dollar question. Survivability in this condition by a Sentinel, which was a medium priced revolver in its time, is a lot less likely that that of one of the relatively expensive Crusader revolvers where fewer that 500 were made of each caliber.

To put in some kind of perspective, if only 1% remain in this NIB condition with box there would be nearly 2000 survivors. If you compare this against production numbers for other High Standard guns , 2000 would place it at about the 175th position. If you speculate that 0.1% have survived There would still be 60 High Standard models that would be more rare if the survivability of these 60 models were 100% which is of course unlikely.

Unfortuantely any answer is pure speculation and probably always willl be.

I do know several HSCA members that have this model in the box with papers and which are probably not fired much if at all.