High velocity in Colts

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 4m4s, Dec 3, 2011.

1. 4m4s

4m4s New Member

Hello all new guy here and I have a question I hope you can help me with. Which Colt semiauto pistols will handle hv .22lr? Thank you, Dennis
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would think they all would handle HV rounds.
  3. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

You might e-mail Colt Customer Service.
  4. 4m4s

4m4s New Member

My reason for asking was I own mostly colt pistols and the one .22 I have is a first series colt woodsman made in 1930 and I know it is standard velocity only. I would like to buy a colt of more recent manufacture that can fire high velocity but going through the threads I don't see much about recent colts. Is there anything available these days? Thanks. Dennis
  5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

4m4s:

You are right that the early Colt Woodsman can only fire Standard Velocity ammo. At some point in time Colt offered updates to allow the use of High Velocity ammo. A Colt only web page might be able to tell you what the markings Colt did on the early guns after they were retrofitted for HV use.

BUT...... Why not just use Standard Velocity in all your target guns including the Colt Woodsman from any era? It is much easier on the gun because if the gun will operate on Std Vel ammo it was sprung from the factory for it. Any ammo with more power then beats up the gun with excessive recoil. Some guns like the High Standards eventually crack frames when used extensively with Hi Vel ammo. Be nice to your 22 target guns and feed them only Std Vel ammo if they will operate on it. I have over ten different "target" 22's and ALL operate fine on CCI Std Vel ammo. It is about the most accurate ammo for the least price that you can buy and is readily available (I buy mine by the case off the internet but some local stores stock it). It is in the mid priced class at about $4 for 50 but comes package in 100 count containers.

LDBennett
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Most all the HV ammo is fluff when used in pistols anyhow. It does not offer any advatage an handguns. Get your self a 500 round count box of federal 711b. Good grade of older match ammo cost is low and runs about as clean as any. I don't even shot Hv or hyper in my rifles anymore. rather have way better accuracy than the nose and speed along with latger groups.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Federal 711B is about $5 a box.
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

10. somawas

somawas New Member

Closest thing to .22 cal COLT being manufactured now is the Umarex Colt which I believe is manufactured by Walther. I own one and its a fun PLINKER. I'll shoot just about any round that cycles reliably, which includes CCI Blazer, CCI Velocitor, CCI Stinger, as well as any bargain bulk ammo one can buy at Walmart- Winchester and Federal.

Even though I'll shoot Stingers out of this pistol, the reason is I have them on hand when I'm at the range. Truth is, I've concluded that the Stinger is really no better than the other ammo that I shoot from this pistol.

Attached Files:

11. 4m4s

4m4s New Member

Thanks everyone. It looks like a buckmark for a plinker.
  12. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

The following pictures are of the Hi-Speed and standard velocity main spring housings found on first series Colt Woodsman pistols. The parallel lines on the left are for hardened housings that allow the use of Hi-Velocity cartridges. The oval checkered pattern on the right indicates standard velocity cartridges ONLY!

One need only be concerned with this distinction on first series Colt pistols; i.e., pre-Woodsman and Woodsman pistols made before WW2. Phase-in of Hi-Speed housings began in 1932 at about serial number 81,000 and by 86,000 all had the Hi-Speed main spring housings. Some first series pistols were assembled after WW2 until about 1947 but they were all made with Hi-Speed housings. This information comes from Bob Rayburn's "Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. 4m4s

4m4s New Member

Thank you for the information but I'm already familiar with the limitations of my woodsman as well as Mr. Rayburns site. I was just in the market for a plinker and would have preferred a colt but I guess they are out of that market. Much thanks, Dennis