High velocity reading on the new chrony...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jdon72, Oct 26, 2010.

1. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Went to the range to test some new loads in 45 185 hp with the new chrony...and using unique with about 7.6 gr powder...i was getting an average of 1335fps...yes over 1300. The chrony was about 5 ft away. I think that is why i got heavy fps. I did find two casings that were split, but that could be from anything (it is reloaded brass). They were not overcharged.

With about 7.2 gr it was in the 800s.

Any opinions from other chronographers???

J
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Too close, set it at 12-15 feet and try again.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I dont know all that much about the 45. I do think that is smoking fast for a 45 tho. Are you sure the chrony was open all the way? Just throwing that out there. I am interested in seeing what some others say.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    lymans 47th reloading hand book states that 7.8 grains of unique is maximum,so at 7.6 you are close.it also states for that max charge only 985 fps.you have something wrong.there is no 1300 fps vel. any where on the 45 acp.i would check my powder measure and scales before you have catastrafic failure.i would not suggest firing any more until you find the problem. old semperfi
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Did you test your chrony on any other known loads, maybe some factory stuff? What COAL did you use? It seems a little odd.

I sent some 230 FMJ's 1000 fps following Speer #14 data once because I seated FMJ's at a HP COAL. My chrony helped me realize why you always start at minimum loads and work up. Sometimes variable light conditions like low, fast moving cloud cover will screw with my chrony readings, other than that I'd back off those loads for sure.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

+1. your chrony was being 'confused' by the blast from the pistol.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

1300 is rowland velocities:eek:
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I personally was excited. Shooting a 45 at over 1300fps...for the most part, no excessive pressure. I am sure it was too close...i was having many problems.

The lyman book is more for safety...i rarely see it going to max loads in other books and their test rounds are sometimes seated too deeply for what other manuals suggest. 7.8 is close to being high, but a couple others say 8.2gr is max.

They say if shooting subsonic, move it further back...that may be the problem. 45 is a subsonic round.

J