Higher End 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Larry V, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Larry V

Larry V New Member

I am looking to buy a higher end 1911 (up to $1300). I want a 4" barrel (carry model), I want to stay with the 8 round mag and certainly reliability and accuracy are important. My plans are for this to be my primary carry weapon. I have looked at some other models, such as the Sig P220, but I really like the trigger pull/reset of the 1911. I have been looking at a couple of Sig models, the Platinum Elite Carry and the Carry Nitron. I have not had any experience with a stainless finish and was wanting to get some comments on caring for a stainless gun. Any comments, suggestions, opinions, preferences on models, brands, configurations or anything would be appreciated. Thanks, have a great day.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I believe that all the SIG 1911 models are constructed with stainless steel. I have the 5" TTT model. It is a great shooter and I really like it a lot.

One thing about the SIG 1911 is you may not be able to find a stock holster for it. The slides on the SIG 1911 are not the same as a mil-spec or GI. They are a little heavier and are cut to resembles the slide on a regular model SIG. My holster was made by Elpaso Saddlery and it is excellent.

In your price range there are a lot of good ones to check out.

The Colt Defender and Colt New Agent are nice and will run around $800-$900.
    Kimber makes a lot of small carry models that will fit into the price range you listed.

Good luck and happy plinkin!
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

les baer or sti .the sti guns are in that price range and are more custom than a box stock sig or colt. some feel these 2 companies make the finest 1911 out there.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Kimber ultra from their custom shop. Thats my opinion.

mike
    gn
  5. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Kimber, Springfield, and Smith and Wesson all have good guns in this range.

Old Guy
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

none finer than a colt combat commander in my opinion. stainless just because it is rust resistant doesnt mean you dont have to lube it. wipe it off once in a while and lube the rails well and always put a drop on the disconnector. stainless needs more lube than regular steel, so im told, but it's been years and i cant remember where i heard that. if you're going to carry IWB i would recommend tetra gungrease. you can lube the heck out of your rails and it wont get on your britches.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Stainless guns:

Stainless steel is an alloy of steel that uses various amounts of chromium to gain RESISTANCE to rusting. But stainless has a the tendency of galling* when run against itself. Gun designers pick different alloys of stainless for mating moving parts to minimize the galling. But the fact that the tendency is there says lubrication is very important on stainless guns.

No stainless steel is rust PROOF but only RESISTANT to oxidation or rusting. The more chromium in the alloy the more resistant to rusting. The chromium effects the magnetic capabilities of stainless as well. High chromium content alloys are non-magnetic while low chromium content alloys MAY BE magnetic. Stainless steel used in the food industry is not the same as stainless steel used in guns, in most cases.

Practically, stainless guns are good because of their rust resistance but chrome moly steels used in carbon steel guns are stronger. The general consensus is that Stainless barrels last longer than chrome moly barrels but few handgun users will every shoot out a handgun barrel. Stainless is harder to machine as well because the cutting action of stainless tends to tear the metal away making the cuts have poor surface finish if done in too heavy of a cut. Carbide and other specialized cutting tools are usually required to do production machining of stainless steels and that is a main factor of why stainless has been so long in getting into guns. There is also the galling factor but once they had all the alloys to choose from, that was minimized by good gun designers.

All my semi-auto pistols are carbon steel blued guns (or aluminum frames and carbon steel slides) whereas all my revolvers are stainless steel. All my rifles are cabon steel (no stainless except for one 22 semi-auto). That works for me.

LDBennett

*Galling is when microscopically one part transfers material to the other part that is moving on its surface. With enough operations under galling the surfaces can become microscopically so rough as to drastically effect the motion of the two parts, even seize.
  9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

10. Larry V

Larry V New Member

Thanks for all the information. I still want to hear from more of you 1911 lovers.
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

I have 1911-style handguns by Sig, Kimber, Colt, and Dan Wesson CBOB. The CBOB is my favorite, followed by the Kimbers, Sigs, and the Colt. They are all nicely made, the CBOB is tighter than the others, and I seem to shoot it a bit more accurately.

[​IMG]
  12. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have owned a lot of high end 1911's and my favorite has been this Les Baer Preimer II.

Excuse the BAD pic.

Attached Files:

14. glock2026

glock2026 New Member

If you only have 1300 , you better look at kimber. Thats not enough money to get a wilson ,maybee SPEC OPS.
  15. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

though gun sales are high, the gun shops are selling tons of guns in the low end to middle to upper middle end but the higher end guns aren't going as well. this is at least the case in my neck of the woods. i think you'd be surprized at what you can talk a shop down to on some of the higher end ends. my local dealer has had a korth revolver for sale for over a year. who the hell buys a korth, yes it's the rolls royce of revolvers but why pay the price ? any way last week i noticed it was 1/2 price. find a high end gun to your liking and make a offer, the mark up is so fricken high on these things there is alot of wiggle room and you might catch a bargin. when the place sells 12 rock islands for every les baer he might be willing to deal
  16. williamd

williamd New Member

Do not overlook good used ones. I picked up a nice Tank Officers Model at a pawn shop! Mine is a 'Carry' model so can use standard mag; even my 10-round extended mag. Picked up Baby Eagle at the same shop a while ago - ANIB!
  17. Maineman

Maineman New Member

I have a S&W1911DK just got it two weeks ago so far i've only got 500 rounds through it but it has less kick than my S&W990L and its more accurate.
  18. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Zat include sales tax?
  19. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will tell ya, I have been salivating over a springfield 1911 micro-compact .45. They have the bi-tone 3" ramped bull barrel, trijicon night sights and cocobolo thinline grips with mini rail. Problem is I just bought a colt defender. I am trying to find an excuse to get the springer.
  20. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member