Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

riderbob
    (2/7/03 3:00:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guy tell me about this neat little carbine i found would ya please ??

Thanks Rider

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/8/03 9:19:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rider, I have a friend who owns one of these carbines. To date, no jams or malfunctions.

I have fired 100 rounds thru the Hi-Point carbine. Not target grade , but a fun plinker.

riderbob
    (2/11/03 4:12:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del hi point carbine
    Thanks shooter might buy two one for me and one for son. should be a great gun to throw on the atv for those just in case moments. But then again the old saying applies to me " the thing ya see when you don't have a gun."

Thanks again Shooter

Rider

Mikle76
    (2/11/03 11:02:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: hi point carbine
    I bought mine used about 8 months ago and put a BSA red dot on it. I have to keep the magazine lightly oiled internally or the spring will sometimes stick. Other than that, I love it.

HTH,

Mike

Motor T
    (2/12/03 1:34:51 am)
    Ugly
    But who cares

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/03 8:39:11 am)
    Hi Mike76 and Motor T.......welcome to TFF.

JBP
    (2/12/03 3:05:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    Good fun gun. Bought one when they first came out and kept it for about 5 years. I guess I put around 2500 rounds throught it. Great peep sight and very accurate to 100 yards. I sent it back to the factory twice for minor repairs (stipped bolt handle and to have the trigger adjusted). It was fixed w/o any hassels and they always sent it back with an extra mag.

303brit
    (2/12/03 4:03:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-point
    I just bought one used and it was missing the sights, it only hade the scope mount, I called the company and they where the most helpfull people I have ever conntacted for customer service.I asked for the cost of the parts and they said all parts are coverd by warranty and they would send the sight out to me. Asked if there was anything elese I needed, I said i would like an extra firing pin and spring and that is on its way too. If it shoots as well as seems it will be a super value for the money

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:30:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi-point
    Many years ago, when the Hi-Point pistols were just appearing, I had occasion to talk to the 'smiths at the factory several times. As a result, the magazine mold for the C9 was changed. They didn't fix the new production the way I fixed my magazines, but the concept was the same. The first time I commented about the base coming off the magazines, they sent me 10 magazines, 10 extra bases and 5 springs and followers. Then they called me a couple of times to see if I was satisfied.

Yup...they are indeed customer oriented.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

riderbob
    (2/13/03 10:46:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del hi-point
    Hey guys thanks alot for the info. I think that i will get this gun. Now my other ugly guns will not be so lonely.
    I really do like the idea that the co. is very customer oriented. I just hope that i don't need them very often. The gun seems simple enough to repair if needed. Not to sure what type of sights to use, I still have the open sights on my SKS but have heard good thing about red dots. Who makes decent one that don't cost much more than the gun?

Thanks Again Guys

Rider

303brit
    (2/24/03 5:43:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-Point
    Wal Mart sells a red dot scope (BSA )for $30
    probably not top of the line, but I looked at one at another shop (It was $45 there) and it sure seemed worth the money.
  2. Bulldog1862

Bulldog1862 New Member

I have had the Highpoint 995 for as long as they have been out. I added a Red dot scope as well. I can hit a standard paper plate at the range at 100 yards. Is it the Gun beside the bed at night No, But it is just as fun to play with as the 10-22. You need to keep it clean and oiled, The charging handle comes loose once in a while and you just tighten back down. I have called twice for broken parts and they sent replacements quickley at no cost.
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have the 40 cal one. I love this thing, it eats everything but Wolf steel case ammo. Pretty accurate and at $216 OTD not a bad price.
  4. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

FWIW:

I purchased my HiPoint 995 (9mm) carbine new several years ago. It's an ugly sucker, but well worth the money as my example has been very accurate at any reasonable distance, and 100% reliable with factory mags. (Aftermarket ProMag's are "iffy"... Some work, some don't).

I did put a red dot scope on it, and I recommend you consider doing the same should you buy a HiPoint carbine.

Also, my understanding is that the new carbines have a completely different stock on them, doing away with the "sloped shouldered original model".. You might check that out.

For those of us who have the ugly stock versions there is an aftermarket company that makes a nice stock for the HiPoint should you want to pretty up your original carbine. I just leave mine alone, and keep shooting. :D:D

Excellent value for the money....

Best Wishes,

Jesse
  5. okie headhunter

okie headhunter New Member

i like the old stock . it just looks weird till you put to shoulder then it makes sence.