Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Mar 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

riderbob
    (2/7/03 3:00:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guy tell me about this neat little carbine i found would ya please ??

Thanks Rider

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/8/03 9:19:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rider, I have a friend who owns one of these carbines. To date, no jams or malfunctions.

I have fired 100 rounds thru the Hi-Point carbine. Not target grade , but a fun plinker.

riderbob
    (2/11/03 4:12:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del hi point carbine
    Thanks shooter might buy two one for me and one for son. should be a great gun to throw on the atv for those just in case moments. But then again the old saying applies to me " the thing ya see when you don't have a gun."

Thanks again Shooter

Rider

Mikle76
    (2/11/03 11:02:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: hi point carbine
    I bought mine used about 8 months ago and put a BSA red dot on it. I have to keep the magazine lightly oiled internally or the spring will sometimes stick. Other than that, I love it.

HTH,

Mike

Motor T
    (2/12/03 1:34:51 am)
    Ugly
    But who cares

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/12/03 8:39:11 am)
    Hi Mike76 and Motor T.......welcome to TFF.

JBP
    (2/12/03 3:05:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    Good fun gun. Bought one when they first came out and kept it for about 5 years. I guess I put around 2500 rounds throught it. Great peep sight and very accurate to 100 yards. I sent it back to the factory twice for minor repairs (stipped bolt handle and to have the trigger adjusted). It was fixed w/o any hassels and they always sent it back with an extra mag.

303brit
    (2/12/03 4:03:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-point
    I just bought one used and it was missing the sights, it only hade the scope mount, I called the company and they where the most helpfull people I have ever conntacted for customer service.I asked for the cost of the parts and they said all parts are coverd by warranty and they would send the sight out to me. Asked if there was anything elese I needed, I said i would like an extra firing pin and spring and that is on its way too. If it shoots as well as seems it will be a super value for the money

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:30:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi-point
    Many years ago, when the Hi-Point pistols were just appearing, I had occasion to talk to the 'smiths at the factory several times. As a result, the magazine mold for the C9 was changed. They didn't fix the new production the way I fixed my magazines, but the concept was the same. The first time I commented about the base coming off the magazines, they sent me 10 magazines, 10 extra bases and 5 springs and followers. Then they called me a couple of times to see if I was satisfied.

Yup...they are indeed customer oriented.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

riderbob
    (2/13/03 10:46:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del hi-point
    Hey guys thanks alot for the info. I think that i will get this gun. Now my other ugly guns will not be so lonely.
    I really do like the idea that the co. is very customer oriented. I just hope that i don't need them very often. The gun seems simple enough to repair if needed. Not to sure what type of sights to use, I still have the open sights on my SKS but have heard good thing about red dots. Who makes decent one that don't cost much more than the gun?

Thanks Again Guys

Rider

303brit
    (2/24/03 5:43:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-Point
    Wal Mart sells a red dot scope (BSA )for $30
    probably not top of the line, but I looked at one at another shop (It was $45 there) and it sure seemed worth the money.

Gt40Capri
    (3/3/03 2:04:27 am)
    Last year a friend had some money burning a hole in his pocket at a gun show and he just HAD to have a Russian SKS and one of the Highpoint 9mm Carbines that he saw.

A couple of days later we finally get the chance to go to a range and try the weapons out. The SKS was what you'd expect, it even did the classic slam-fire bit after it got a little heat in it (there were three of us).

The Highpoint OTOH, was just BRUTAL. After a couple of rounds I had to look at this thing again with a sort of WTF? expression. It literally HURT to shoot it. Not so much a lot of recoil, more like a short sharp hit on the shoulder. None of us liked it, including the new owner. In fact it became something of a joke like "Watch it or we'll make you shoot the Highpoint!"

Each one of us put one magazine worth through it and that was enough. The SKS was much preferred and was shot the most. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic stock has something to do with it but no one here cares to do any further experimenting.

I suppose I should say that it operated well its just that we just found it very uncomfortable to shoot.

Chief AFD
    (3/6/03 11:29:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    It is a good left handed carbine. Very acurate at 100yds. Again well over 500 rounds with factory magazines and ball ammo, did not have good luck with after market magazines, would not feed. A good firearm for the money.

303brit
    (3/17/03 10:48:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-point carbine
    I shot my hi-point for the first time this weekend.
    I had purchased it used from a pawn shop, it was missing the adjustable sights and sling swivels. A phone call to the company, and 3 days later free of charge the parts can in.

I purchased the muzzle brake and two spare mags also.

I shot 100 rounds of Winchester 115 ball ammo and it functioned perfectly. very light recoil and almost no muzzle jump. Rapid fire (as fast as I could get a sight picture) at 25 yards offhand standing it put 10 rounds into about 3 inches.

Very pleased with the performance. looking forward to a lot of shooting with this rifle.

riderbob
    (3/18/03 10:41:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del repaired the sting
    Hey GT

I think I have a fix for your pain problem. I notice it the first time shooting seemed more like a sting in my cheek . The action slams back right by the cheek rest and the gun seemed just a little flexy. So I took the action out of the stock and drilled a hole in the butt plate and proceeded to fill it with poly foam, waited for it to dry cleaned up the excess and reinstalled the action. took outside shot a clip and did not notice near the sting. I think the foam helps to dampen the shock of recoil. hope this helps.

Rider

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/22/03 5:08:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: Highpoint carbine good bad or ugly
    Almost got one at the gun show a couple of weeks ago. Price of the gun was right @ $145.00, just wouldn't be able to afford the ammo for it when useing it as a tree chopper.

Gt40Capri
    (3/23/03 4:10:25 am)
    Hey Thanks riderbob. I suspected that it had something to do with stock material but my opinion is that the thing is just flat ugly so I was uninterested in putting any effort into it. But I WILL pass your suggestion on to the owner and maybe he can then get some enjoyment out of his purchase. Thanks again.