History Channel--Gangland... Gang Bangers in the military?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Feb 23, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'm sitting here watching the History Channels "Gangland" series. They are talking about skin heads and gang bangers that join the military and still practice their beliefs while serving. I can't help but think to myself that our Country is rotting/rusting from the inside out?
    I don't think our country is going to make it another 50 years...? :(:(

mike
    gn
  2. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Yupe, do a simple search of, "gangs in the military." It's been going on since the mid 80's.:(
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Wow! :eek::( Thats a shame... I didn't realize it had been going on that long.

mike
    gn
  4. noslolo

noslolo New Member

In the 80's I went to Military school. The worst thing that we had to deal with, was the Bravo fist (I was in Bravo Company). Each Company had their own enforcers and they gave blanket parties to the slackers. The administration didn't know about it, but it was very effective. Not really a gang, but it's as close as I ever came, thank God.
  5. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

The Military today is not the same Military we had during WW II.
    In one sense, our Military today is a Politically Correct Social club.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Eh, more doom and gloom. I finished my Drill Sergeant duty with 36 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days and trained 3,000 US Army privates and OCS candidates.

Here's the facts on the Army side:

A true "gang banger" can't enlist because their records are so severe, or if minor stuff so frequent, they cannot ship in on a waiver.

A very small percentage, maybe 1% of "gang banger" recruits, the stars align and they ship to basic training. BUT, the real deal "gang banger" mentality cannot conform to the standards in a reasonable amount of time...so of that very small percentage that get in, a percentage get kicked out very fast...like within 3-6 weeks, for failure to adapt. (We actually had a Code Orange in my battalion that if the battalion commander concurred we'd have the guy gone in 48 hrs for being trouble/distraction.)

Gang members cannot tolerate other rival gang members. When you make them live together they weed each other out. For example, one of mine took an e-tool to a crypt's head just because he was a blood...he got court martial conviction of 8 months at Ft. Knox confinement and DH discharge.

The remaining percentage...Of those that aren't too street indoctrinated, and want to really be a Soldier, they are screw ups and either have to restart basic again or maybe just make it to AIT. The odds are against both options working...they mostly get in trouble and bye-bye.

And finally the remaining of the remaining of that original percentage, a tiny fraction of "gang bangers" that get in basic training and survive the first month....the ones who are street deep inside but want a better life...they work every day to get it and some do.

I had privates that could not go home on Christmas leave because the gang they left would kill them.

I also had thugs show up as recruits and see Soldiers driving corvettes, Cadillac Escalades, and BMW's that they bought without risking jail times. They're 18-21 years old and the first time in their life they have a decent honorable genuine father figure that cares for their well being and won't take any s**t...and they begin to latch on to everything you do until they walk, talk, and behave just like you...that rare recruit, true gang banger wanting to be something more than what he was, he usually makes a better Soldier than your middle-class kids kicked out of the house at 19 years old and the only thing about the street he knows is from MTV. This guy, you might see once a year though...he is rare.

The ones that make it...do they change for good or do they end up slipping? I don't know.

I don't care what the History channel says. The amount of gang members in uniform is extremely tiny and the active ones weed themselves out swiftly. Otherwise...s**t happens. You can't maintain 1,000,000 in service without some acting a fool.

Most your extremists in uniform fall in it after they are inside. They may have had pre-existing tendencies, or background, but they go over the edge inside...get caught and chaptered out.

According to Army EO policy, you can think what you want. You're allowed to be a racist or whatever...you just cannot show it or act on it. You have t keep your beliefs to your self. If your beliefs are transparent, you are in violation, and will be punished and or separated from service.

People get disillusioned you know. Guys with a future make the wrong friends. Then he's stealing stuff and selling drugs as a prospect for some gang...and he's an Iraq/Afghan vet. It happens. You're first MC's were guys coming back from WW2.

This is the bottom line though...gang/extremist behavior in the US military, even slight behavior or anything like a pattern, will get you thrown out just as certainly as playing in traffic will get you run over; just a little matter of time.

The History channel ought to do a show about those religious cults preying on the military. Stationed in Texas several years ago, I lost count of how many young guys got sucked into cults and ended up going AWOL/Chaptered. These were good kids. Naive but good. Poof. Turned into weirdos. Living in compounds in the middle of nowhere and refusing to talk to their family...they eventually come home (years not months) and won't talk about it or just disappear.

The military may be politically correct, and have it's own sub-culture which is a mix of all of America and its own traditions too.....but it's not a social club.
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Hey Delta, I don’t really know how to put my thoughts into words about what you had to say.

So I’ll just say, THANK YOU!
  8. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Our first GWOT involvement was a Force Protection/Anti-Terrorist job at a bunch of little kasernes in Germany. The senior Equal Opportunity NCO there was worried about gangs and asked for help. Two of my guys, an urban LEO and a corrections officer were pefect for the job. It was a good example of the kinds of skills that a reserve component can bring to active duty. They investigated every little tag and incident and all they found were a few immature wanna-bees with no real affiliation.

That EO NCO really impressed me. I admired him. He thought he had a gang problem and went after it with the heart of a hunter. If I hunted that seriously I would have that possum bed spread I always wanted.
  9. delta13soultaker

Thank you, Marlin.
  10. delta13soultaker

"They investigated every little tag and incident and all they found were a few immature wanna-bees with no real affiliation."

That's the truth of it.

I got pretty proficient at picking out gang tattoos and behavior as opposed to lack of affiliation marks and wanna-bee behavior.

We used to put the wanna-bees in the bay in front of the platoon, and start dialing on speaker phone. We'd pull the MEPS sheets and that personal data sheet they filled out on day zero.

It was a major sacrifice of NCO time...but we'd call mom, dad, recruiter...ask for more numbers and references and end up calling teachers, JROTC instructor, coach, preacher, hometown police, neighbor, friends, and Uncle Tyrone...to make the point. It's a quick attitude change for a wanna-bee thug when his platoon is listening to his 11th grade band director on speaker phone. You only have to bust out a couple before the other wanna-bees drop the act and focus on training.

But that's back to the point of my argument about gangs in uniform...a bonafide legit gang banger has a snow balls chance in hell of ever touching a uniform because of his record, and the tiny few that do practically never make it through basic.

The only ones with a record clean enough to get in and an attitude soft enough to skate by are because they are wanna-bees with no time on the street to have a police jacket anywhere.