History Lesson Needed -- RFK, AG

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

IceNineIceNine
    (8/5/01 11:28:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del All History Lesson Needed -- RFK, AG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am curious how RFK got appointed as Attorney General under JFK. I cannot imagine Jeb being made AG under George W. Please excuse my ignorance -- I was -13 years old in 1960, and the thought never really crossed my mind until tonight when I watched "Thirteen Days".

Also, was the A-4 Skyhawk in service in 1962?
    Thanks,
    Ice Nine

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/5/01 11:45:43 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: History Lesson Needed -- RFK, AG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't know about the Skyhawk but JFK appointed his brother with the advise and consent of the Senate it wasn't until Joe P's boys proved how unsuitable they were for positions of authority that the rules were changed, namely family members of the President could not hold cabinet positions. Can you imagine what the last 8 years would have been like if the Rodham and Klinton brothers, cousins, etc had held appointed positions?

IceNineIceNine
    (8/6/01 12:06:17 am)
    | Edit | Del History Lesson Needed -- RFK, AG
    "it wasn't until Joe P's boys proved how unsuitable they were for positions of authority"

Again, excuse my ignorance, who was Joe P????

No, I can't imagine how things would be today if the Klintons could have appointed their kin for the past 8 years....that is exactly what made me ask the question!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/01 6:02:26 am)
    Joe P was Joseph Patrick Kennedy son of a saloonkeeper, Harvard grad, banker, bootlegger, movie producer, ambassador, general all round SOB, and patriarch of the Kennedy dynasty, much of the deviant behavior practiced by his descendents was learned by watching the old man

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/01 6:21:21 am)
    Anyone know where Joe P's grave is? I think I'm gonna go piss on it!
    MO

Xracer
    (8/6/01 7:59:48 am)
    I believe the "Ford" aka "Heinemann's Hot Rod" was flying in '62. I don't know if they'd made any squadron deliveries yet, though.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/6/01 8:23:53 am)
    Yep, the Skyhawk was there. the model Corsair II attack plane replaced the Skyhawk on carriers in 1967.
    "am not" R2

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/6/01 10:22:22 pm)
    One more thing about Joe Kennedy...as Ambassador to England in 38 he claimed that England would never be able to beat Hitler in a war, and went even farther by saying Hitler wasn't a bad guy at all and that the US should make peace with him...

Also, when JFK got caught diddling a secretary in the Pentagon and lost his "cushy" job, the Navy almost booted him out completely. Joe pulled strings, then so he could see combat "to help his political career," and the Navy stuck him in PTs because they knew he was incompetent, couldn't hurt much there.

After he blew the first Radar Torp run on the Jap DD, which happened alot, JFK panicked and turned toward it to engage it with his unauthorized Army 37mm AT gun he had on his foredeck. What he should have done is broke off, and made another run, the Japs had no radar and didn't know he was there in the fog. That 37 would have hardly hurt a DD.

The Navy wanted to courtmartial him for causing the collision, losing the boat, and costing the lives of the crew that were killed, but Joe again pulled strings, made him into a hero with his press buddies, and the rest is "History." He WAS a hero after the wreck, but he CAUSED it by his negligence and poor judgement.

I believe the Skyhawk was in service in the very late 50s, and while the A7 began replacing it in the 70s, there were still Skyhawks on carriers until the mid-70s I believe...
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."