history on Win 1917

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rocklinskier, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Have a Winchester mdl.1917. Serial # 203XXX...1918 I think?? This would be a 30-06 correct?

Is there any way to know if this rifle was used in service, and if so, any way to know the time period of service? It does have the flaming bomb logo on it. Does that mean it was military issue, or is that just a particular armory mark.

Grandpas gun. He acquired it in the 50's. He removed the top stock, and used it for deer hunting until the early 70's. He is no longer with us, and it is more or less being passed around the family as a 'shared treasure'.

any info, or links to info, would be much appreciated.
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Model 1917 was adopted as a "stopgap" at the start of U.S. involvement in WW1. The rifles were issued to AEF and training groups. The 1903 was in short supply as it was recently adopted, the 1917 was a model being made for the brits and was easily chambered for the 30-06 round, rifles were made on existing tooling with no real delay for set-up. The 1917 was re-issued for home guard and training during WW2. Look at the CMP site or the collecting and shooting mil. rifles site for better info. Nice gun, shoot it and get a new handguard.