HK 91, Fn Fal, or M14

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. DA5H

DA5H New Member

I have not shot and M14 or an HK-91, but I have shot the FAL. From what I've read, the FAL can be heinous if you get a lemon, but the one I shot was AWESOME. I expected to pick it up and have marginal accuracy with open sights. In reality I was able to put 3 shots into a coke can at 50 yards in less than three seconds. IMO that's impressive for a .308 with open sights. Kick was VERY manageable, and the weapon cycled flawlessly through several 20 round mags. I'd be very interested to see what I could do with a scope at 500-800 yards. The first three words out of my mouth after firing were "I...WANT...ONE!"

From a tactical standpoint, it seems the FAL and the M14 would both be faster to load, since the charging handle on the HK is so far forward (HK charging would be ABYSMALLY slow for a lefty), and I supposed the M14 would be on a level with the FAL in this respect. Maybe not a huge issue for right handed people, but as a lefty I would steer clear of the HK. I've only ever heard good things about the M14 as well, but I think I would choose the FAL.

I hope someone finds this useful.
  2. DA5H

DA5H New Member

On this I have to agree. I shot both guns on the same day, and IMO the larger round in the AK is no advantage since the thing is so inaccurate one couldn't reach out much farther than one could with an M4 anyway. The M4, by comparison, was light, tight, and accurate as hell. I've never crawled through the sand with any of these guns, but I'll take your word on that.

I am however, going to get an FAL as soon as I can. Right now I live in Massa-FU gun lovers-chusetts, so it will be a bit.

peace
  3. DA5H

DA5H New Member

Again, I agree. After firing an AK47 I don't know why the gun gets so much praise. True, it is "reliable" in that it shoots when you pull the trigger, but you can't hit a damn thing after the first shot, and the first shot isn't so great either. In that sense I would call the AK one of the LEAST reliable guns I've ever shot. A hit does more damage than a miss, period. ;)

As for you comment about the president...I won't get into politics other than to say that hearing ANYTHING other than support for a man with a very tough job, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, is tiresome. You may not like him, but he IS our leader by popular vote. Not that this means anything, considering his opponents. Political affiliations aside, McCain didn't stand a chance against a young, dynamic, "black" man touted as a force for change. Obama had quad aces. That's a tough hand to beat. I digress, though. End political commentary.
  4. JoeUSMC

JoeUSMC New Member

If I had to chose among the three battle rifles, I would choose the HK 91 (G-3), because of its delayed blowback operating system, and its reliability. It may not be as refined as the FAL, but it is an accurate and reliable battle rifle.

If I had to chose an assault rifle, as opposed to a battle rifle, it would be the HK G-36, with second place going to the HK 33 (G-93). The G-93 is also an accurate and reliable assault rifle.

I used the M16A1 while in the Marine Corps from 1980-84. I was not impressed with it. Fortunately the M16A2 rectified the problems with the A1 and is a much more reliable weapon.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

HK 91 or 93 would be fine. The newer G3 kits are ok and more affordable.
  6. scummy

scummy New Member

Ok. I signed up on here just so I could get on this thread. I am not going to talk about the M14 as I don’t know much about it other than my pops old war stories.
    I have shot many FALs and they were all junk. The FN FAL was originally designed as a 7.62 x 39 NATO answers to the SKS (pre AK). Later NATO decided to go to the new 7.62 x 51 and thus the rifle was changed and forced into service. The gun was never designed to shot 308. And the new round pushed the gun to its limits. DSA makes a lovely version for just above a grand. For me I could never commit to buying one after all the problems I had with the Belgian and Century versions. I never liked the idea of gas action on a large caliber rapid fire weapon. New mags are expensive too.
    The G-3 was first designed by Century Arms International. It was labeled the Centme and worked on what is called "blow back" action. It was modeled after the German WWII MG 42 belt fed machine gun. The bolt rides on super smooth rollers attached to a spring. NO GAS! The gun had lots of flaws and failures to eject and double feeds. H&K later came afterwards and produced the G-3 or H&K -91. It works on the same concept but not the same principle. Most think that the centme and G-3 are the same. THEY ARE NOT! The G-3 works on “Delayed Blow Back" which fixed the aforementioned problems with the Centme. H&K produced a whole line based on this design. From MP-5 to PSg-1(one of the best sniper rifles in the world) they all work on the same design just different size. The G-3 is practically a striped down PSg-1. The rifle was so successful that Germany’s large weapons manufacture, Rhinemettall produced a version of the G-3 also and their bolt carriers are very sought after as well. PTR produces the G-3 for just about the same cost as an entry DSA FN FAL. PTR -91 is essentially an H&K 91 with a thicker bull barrel and upgraded hand guard. PTR purchased the tooling machines from the Belgian govt (who chose the G-3 over their own rifle) after the Belgian govt bought them from H&K. Parts for both the rifles are everywhere but another seller for me was the mags. Used ones are 98. Cents and new ones are about 3 to 4 dollars. I have put a few links on here so you can check it out on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL09sLcKW4M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrSWpWi5eEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctyKezaegds