Hoarding is alive and well, part 2

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GMFWoodchuck, Sep 19, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I was at the gun show at the New York State fairgrounds today. There were "dealers" selling boxes of 100 for 8 freaking dollars. :eek::mad:I obviously laughed at them and told them that I bought them at Gander Mountain for less than half that last week and I knew they legit.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree, thats fricken ridiculous. That price gouging at its finest. The last gunshow I attended (mid august at Will Rogers center) There was a booth that had some CCI#34s for $360 a crate (5000) I was appalled, The Crates of Winchesters at another booth were $250 which was still real high, and the 1000 rd cases were 45 bucks. Now that the crunch is beginning to lift the dealers are still trying to gouge out those last few extra buck from the still hard up mainstream consumer.. It sucks big time:mad:
  3. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Interesting reading on what they are trying to get for supplies right now. Where I am wanting to get into reloading I havent ordered any supplies right now because of what I am reading about the prices being so high as well as wanting to read and learn before I go buying things I dont need.

I have ordered my books and they should start arriving next week and I figure I will slowly build up my equipment and HOPEFULLY by the time I am ready to start reloading (probably in Jan/Feb) the availability and prices of primers/powder and bullets will settle back close to normal, if not I still have plenty of mil. surplus and factory ammo to get me by and I can wait longer if I need to to let the prices come down some.

I figure rushing in and buying stuff now would defeat the purpose of getting into reloading for me which was to save $$$$ on plinking ammo.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You'll still save money when priced round per round, even at some of the gouged prices. But I think you've got the right idea; take the time to do your homework and compare, you'll be better off in the long run. Once you've read through the manuals, you'll have a pretty narrowed down list of what equipment you'd like to start out on. There are decent prices on components when they're in stock, you just have to keep your eyes out. Several have been kind enough to post on the forum when they find in stock items.
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Another thing I noticed is the over pricing of all the used stuff. Dies in particular. I saw a set of used 22-250 RCBS dies for 32 bucks. The same set brand new at Bass Pro SHops are 30 dollars. Most of the dies were 25 to 30 bucks and people were actually buying them!!:eek: One guy was going on as to how hard it is to find 38-40 dies. You can get custom made brand-new dies of whatever shape you want from RCBS or Redding for not much more than a hundred bucks. And they would be new! And Midway has new 38-40 dies for a fraction of that. Why doesn't anyone do a little research first? I saw a Krag rifle for 10,000 dollars. Yes, 10 grand. Meanwhile another guy had one is the same condition for 700 dollars. I'm not sure if I would even pay that much for one either. Winchester 94's went from 400 to whatever price you can dream up. The most I saw was about 4 grand. I'm not sure what was so special about them. Even M1 garands that were used and abused were going for 4000 dollars. A new one from Gander Mountain is nowhere near 2000. Why would I would pay 4000 for a gun that got beat up in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam when I could have a loaded new one for a fraction of that.

And people were buying this stuff. Nuts!!! I thought I was gonna buy loads of stuff. I have never been to a gun show before and I'm pretty sure that's the last one I'm going to too. What a rip-off.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  6. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Gun shows are not neccessarily the best places to save money. You sometimes can haggle the price if you can compare to an item in a shop. They do have a variety of unique junk and up-to-date items. I always like looking when I am there at items like safes, holsters, etc etc. They do give dif ideas on what is out there. At least yours is big, not like our tiny ones here in SC. Ours are horrible.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Big doesn't mean much when it's over-priced junk.