Hodgdon CFE 223

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rumanji, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Rumanji

Rumanji New Member

Has anyone used Hodgdon's recently offered CFE 223 powder yet? Here is a brief description on the Hodgdon website:

Introduced in January 2012, this versatile spherical rifle propellant incorporates in its formula CFE, Copper Fouling Eraser. This ingredient, originally used in military propellant, greatly deters copper fouling. It contributes to longer periods of top accuracy with less barrel cleaning time. Being a spherical powder, metering is superbly accurate. CFE 223 yields top velocities in many cartridges such as the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more. Match, Varmint and AR shooters will love this one!

I would appreciate any info from those that have tried it. Thanks!
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I would sure want to know the method used to reduce copper fouling before jumping into this powder.

If it is abrasive that might be removing steel along with the copper.

If it is a chemical action then what chemical is used? Some chemicals, like ammonia for instances, is harmful to the barrel steel if left in contact for long periods of time (more than minutes).

I think Hodgdon owes the shooters a better description of the process than just hype. Anyone know more about this?

LDBennett
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I believe its manufactured with a dry lube that coats the bore when you fire it. Its not so much a copper eliminator as it is copper prevention. and is also the reason the powder is producing top velocities. But dont hold me to that. They did a write up on it in the 2012 hodgdon reloading periodical. Its already a favorite of competition shooter Jerry Miculek.

Burn rate is about BL-C(2) which suites it to a bunch of centerfire aps, not just .223. It has the same load versatility as Varget.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

The current edition (2012) of the Hodgdon's manual has an article on it. The manual can be bought in super markets and Barnes & Noble.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. got my copy at walmart
  6. Rumanji

Rumanji New Member

Thanks for the info. I just called a large reloading supply dealer in my area and they have no idea when hodgdon will get some to them.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

same sad story here. Itll most likely hit large chains first like cabelas, and gander mtn, and such. then the smaller guys. SHould be able to get it online now tho.
  8. Rumanji

Rumanji New Member

Midway shows it as available. I am too cheap, frugal or poor to pay a hazmat fee.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Me too. only ever paid 1 in my life and I ordered 10K primers and 8 pounds of powder to spread the cost out.
  10. langenc

langenc Member

Patience, patience it will get there.