Hodgdon Superformance powder/.243

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by myfriendis410, Dec 12, 2011.

1. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I thought I'd report on my initial results using Hodgdon Superformance powder and the .243.

I am in a lead free area so I chose the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX. It's always been a good performer in the .243 and the 6mm/.244 Remington. The published load data rates a max load velocity at around 3,450 fps which is a good deal faster than any other powder I've used. I usually start just off published maximum with the Barnes as it seems to like being driven hard. Two three shot groups measured under 1/2" at 100 yards, but I have not chronographed the load yet. My 700 BDL is only 22" so I expect some velocity loss as a result.

It's a ball powder so it measures well and near 100% load density. I used a Federal 210M primer and once-fired Federal brass. I loaded up 50 rounds and intend to try it on coyotes when we aren't chasing hogs. My point of impact was unchanged from my other load, which was a nice side benefit.
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ thanks for the report 410, you know i live in the buzzard zone as well and i shoot the 85 gr TSX in my .243 and my gun likes H4831sc... for their rifles bullets Barnes says you can load 1 grain over max for the same weight lead bullet because of the "rings" that are cut on the bearing surface of the bullet...

would you use the 80 gr Barnes for deer?
  3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info 410, never used Superformance yet.
  4. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

I just tried Superperformance last summer and I was pleased with the results. I also have a .243. Shoots good.
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

These little deer would be no problem to take with the 80 gr. TTSX. I sure wouldn't want to shoot a muley with it though. I will probably shoot a hog with it to see how it performs, but I'll limit it to a hundred-pounder and shoot it in the chest to see how the bullet performs. It'll get the job done; I'll just have to plan on it running for bit 'til it realizes it's dead.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt hesitate to shoot deer with it. I have taken deer witht he .223 loaded with 53 gr TSXs here. Clean one shot kills. The Barnes bullets are fantastic at exponentially improving the terminal performance of the ammo.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

those are wimpy white tails, we got manly mule deer out here in the western mountains :)
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

glad you brought that up...

is it more humane to take a deer with bow and arrow, or a 62 grain .223 Barnes bullet?
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Either will do it with equal humainity so long as the hunter possesses the skill. An arrow shaft thru the heart or a bullet thru the heart makes no difference.

Speakin of tough muleys.. Evan03 has posted pictures of dropped colorado muleys with the 53 gr TSX. Stu took his .300 tejas to Africa with 180 gr TSXs and dropped 2 cape buffalo. The Xs just work.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

410, have you ever tried the, hornady 100gr. Sp. with SuperFormance? I want to try it but looking for info before I buy something that might be unsuitable for my .243. Not that I'm cheap but I'm on a fixed income. Thanks for any info you can give.
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

That is exactly the conclusion we've had shooting the Barnes out here. Our primary quarry is hogs and there isn't anything tougher on a bullet. I tell people that it basically up's the caliber one step in terminal performance. Go lighter and faster 'cause that's what the bullet wants.
  12. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Go to the Hodgdon powder website and look up loads for the .243 to see if there's data on Superformance. I don't recall seeing anything for heavier than about 80 grains. I have to shoot copper out here so have not played with any cup-and-core bullets.