Hog hunting. Which gun to use?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hkruss, Jan 20, 2010.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

So I am going hog hunting in a couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions for you.
    First, which rifle should I use? I only have a Garand and an AR. I figured the Garand. 30.06, plenty of power, although a little heavy to lug around all day. Then a guy at work says use the AR. It seems silly to even ask, but it just seems to me that the AR with a 55 grain FMJ and less knockdown power is insufficient for the task. He contends that the faster bullet will have little trouble penetrating a tough hog hide and the bullet is sufficient if properly placed. Is he full of crap or is there any merit to his argument?

The other question is, where is your aiming point on a broadside hog? I was thinking right behind the shoulder but a little below the center line of the body. And would you recommend a neck shot instead, if he is close enough? Thanks
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have shot hogs with 223's before. Not a good round for this. Especially if the hog is big and fat. I have shot small ones and had to hunt them down too. I now use the same I use for deer. A 308 shot placed in the neck.
  3. cakes

cakes New Member

I have used the .223 on hogs without any issues. I aim just below the ear. I've never used FMJs, though.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    a number of years ago i used a garand to hog hunt with. it was dif not a shoot and run with it gun if you needed to.the first hog i shot i hit it right between the eyes.sadly this shot hit at an angle and went right up the forehead and did not penetrate skull.pig came at me like a freight train.i stood my ground and put three in chest,no more freight train.i do want you to understand that by standing my ground i dont think i was brave.i am pretty sure i was too scared to move.i really think you would be better off borrowing a gun.45-70,30-30 some sort of lighter and shorter gun.if you stand hunting in a tree then the grand is perfect other than carrying it.i would not use a 223 although a properly placed shot will do the job.its your call but a dif would not ground hunt with either the grand or 223. old semperfi
  5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Buy a box of the federal premiums with the 60 grain nosler partition bullet. I think that would do the job. I certainly would not hesitate to use it.
  6. questor

questor New Member

what about a 12ga shooting sabots?
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    We have used .22 rimfires before. You must take a head shot right below or in the ear though. I prefer my .30-06 or .35REM though. I know a guy that hog hunts a lot and he uses his AR with good success. Bullet placement is critical though.
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Of the choices I would use the 30-06. I don't walk much when I hog hunt but wait for them to come out to a feeder or just feed. I loaded some CT Partitions last year and used them on hogs. I shot a 150# hog with it in the lungs and it ran a little and then piled up. The CT was like a bomb when it hit the lungs. If you use the AR then shoot them behind the ear, as I wouldn't trust it for a lung shot and then have to follow up usually after dark.
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

When I think of a 223 I think varmit round, and when I think of a 30-06 I think big game round. A .223 just does not have the ballistics that a 30-06 does.
  10. cakes

cakes New Member

I think you have a very valid reason to go rifle shopping. You already stated that you don't feel comfortable using either gun. Find an appropriate rifle chambered in an adequate caliber, then go afield with confidence.
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

I shot a 150+ lb hog behind the shoulder with my .243 and he dropped like a rock. Full penetration at 220 yards. I would not be afraid to take a behihd the shoulder shot with a .223 either, but I would probably just shoot them in the head. It is a fairly large target on a hog. I have taken my .223 hog hunting, but have not had the opportunity to shoot one with it yet.
  12. Sandman

Sandman Member

That being said, this situation also makes for a good excuse to buy a new rifle!
  13. cakes

cakes New Member

Or a big bore upper for the AR.
  14. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Wish I had the money to do that, but can't at the moment.

I do feel the Garand is more than adequate for the task. Eight rounds of 30.06 at the ready is comforting to have! I've since found out, we will be in tree stands, so lugging it around all day will not be an issue.

Thanks for all the input.

15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

8mm or 338 win mag for me. That 8mm hasnt failed me yet. Neither has the 338. That 338 gets em no matter where the bullet goes. Front shots in the skull aint no problem either. I had to save my dads butt when shootin a 200+ lb'er. He was usin the Mini 14 and scored a hit but the hog turned on him a 40 yards. I dusted it on both sides through the heart. I was inside 100ft on that shot.