1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hog hunting. Which gun to use?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hkruss, Jan 20, 2010.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Garand.... ya can't go wrong. Bring enough gun, hogs are tough. The Garand may be heavy but you also get bragging rights that last long after the fatigue is gone!!
  2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

.270, 30-30, .32 WS, .30 Carbine, .223, .243, 30-06, 7.62x39, 7x57, .308, .44 Mag, .357 Mag are all good hog calibers. I'd stay away from .22 long rifle though. :eek: :D
  3. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi Big ugly! An easy question to you: do you think a 8 Mauser (8x57JS) cal. is "enough" for a wild pig? Many thanks for your opinion about.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

With hogs you don't get a decent blood trail because the fat plugs the hole and they are usually out just before or just after dark making an after dark follow up with a wounded PO'ed hog. That is why I feel they need to get hit with something that gets into the lung area and blows apart like a bomb. For that to happen the bullet has to have some zip and be decent enough to penetrate. If it goes clear thru then whatever energy is left over is lost and useless. I have shot them with an 06 with 150 gr a 270 with 130 gr. The hog I shot this year with the 270 (Sierra BTSP) dropped in his tracks which frankly surprised me as it was a lung shot. Good luck and enjoy the sausage.
  5. Sandman

Sandman Member

.22LR is okay as long as you put it in his ear...:D
  6. Tnhunter

Tnhunter New Member

Well, if you're anything like most others who try hog hunting, once you try it, you'll be hooked, just like getting hooked on deer hunting. That Garand will definitely work well, no doubt. But since you'll now become a "hog hunter" you'll surely need a new rifle, just for that!:D

Now when you go shopping for it, I'd say take a look at some short handy rifles (read that lever actions) and pay particular attention to the fine 30/30, .308 Win, .308 ME, .338 ME, .35 Rem, .358 Win, .444 Marlin and of course that great oldie the 45-70.

My favorite.... the BLR in .358 Win. sweeeet!!

Enjoy your hunt! (and aim tight behind the shoulder, or right on the lower shoulder!)
  7. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Tnhunter; you forgot to mention above, my 2 favorite hog rifle calibers..... 357mag & 44mag. :p

I've taken more hogs w/ my Winchester Mod.94 44mag "Trapper" [& the 305gr FPPN in my signature] than I can remember. A short, light weight brush gun that uses the same caliber as the small arm I normally carry while hunting.

SR
  8. Tnhunter

Tnhunter New Member

I did indeed! Might be because I had a near disaster shooting a big Boar with a Marlin 1894/44 with 270gr SPs. I'd have been much better off with the 305s you mention, or the 340s from B/B. Not sure I'd want to use a .357 tho on a really large hog...lol:eek:.
  9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The biggest question will be how you plan on hunting them. If you plan on being stationary, then the Garand wins hands down. But if you plan on doing any walking or spot and stalk method, then you'll want the AR. A headshot with the AR is what you're going to want. I go with a large group every year and the only hogs I've seen taken with a .223 have been head shots. You run into fragmentation issues with the .223 when you go for a body shot.

Personally, I own a .223 and I would never think about taking it with me on a hog hunt. The hogs we hunt are constantly moving and NEVER stand still longer than a second or two. That's just not enough time for me to get comfortable with taking a head shot.
  10. questor

questor Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. Ranger-1

Ranger-1 New Member

You know that little tooth pick that comes with the Swiss Army Knife, That's all you need, Right in the temple, Gets them every time....
  12. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I will leave that method to you snake eaters!

Apparently, you underestimate my level of cowardice!!!:D

13. Willie

Willie Active Member

That is one big hog! I took a 450 pounder with a bow a while back. Never going to do that again. Lung shot killed him but not until he had chased me and treed me and stood there trying to bite my legs. I jumped as high onto the tree as I could, but white men can't jump, everyone knows that.
    :D:D:D