Hogs Gone Wild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jlloyd73, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

No offense to you hog hunters.

So I was sitting in the livingroom watching a show called Hogs Gone Wild tonight. The basic idea is wild hog control. They did some trapping with pens and snares which involved the guys going in and hog tying the pig then carrying it off. Mostly what they did though was send a few little dogs (they had padding on) in to wrestle with a 200-400 lb hog... then went in to hog tie the pigs (a few times they would stab the pig and kill it for safety reasons). Some of the dog scenes were at night.

Here is my question or thought process...

Wild hogs are extremely dangerous....
    I love dogs.....

So, why in the hell would they send these poor dogs in to wrestle the hogs or get into a pen with a few of them? Seemed to me that 99% of the time they could have just shot the filthy beasts without putting themselves or dogs in danger. I mean what are they going to do, release them in a different area...that isn't going to solve the problem. I know my wife got tired of me saying "shoot them...just shoot the hogs." One guy got knocked down....one dog got a tusk in its side....SHOOT THEM...lol
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I never did understand that myself. Not on a penned hog anyhoo. Most of the ole boys I know down in GA that use dogs use em to get the hogs out of the brush at night. Not on penned animals. Them damn pigs are mean enough anyway. Who in the hell would want to get close enough to get a tusk. SCREW THAT. I am with your wife on that one. Shoot em, get it over with.

On a additional note, there are a few ole boys who capture them and keep them alive till they are ready to kook em too though, thus the reason for not killing them right off. I guess it depends on the fellers preference
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

One show they were messing with hogs on a 6,500 acre cattle ranch in TX I believe. I could see someone building a permanent pen on their property to trap a bunch of them and just take one or two whenever you wanted a pig picking, but they were stressing that they were doing all doing this due to the over population and damage control.

I still say they should just shot them and open a BBQ joint....YUMMY
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Lol, it was the same at my house last evening. "shoot that thing" was called out several times. We were left with the feeling that it was just another made for TV video showing how brave or crazy a person can be. Seemed they were more interested in making a thrill video than thinning out the hog population. If you want to thin the hogs out just put a realistic bounty on them and the "good ole boys" will take care of business.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How many of you think you can run fast enough to get within shooting range of a wild hog? Remember the snouts on these guys, they can smell you a long way off, and they are fast on their feet. Day time, or night, it is hard to get a good shoot on these critters. The chances of walking into a hog that is offering you a good shot isn't that bad, but you will usually only get the one chance for the day. I know because I've hunted them. It's like hunting mountain lions, send in the dogs, and let them tree the critter, then you can take it. Yes, sometimes the dogs get killed, or injured, but usually the owners will put vests on the dogs to give them some protection. This method, combined with traps, gives the hunters the chance to take up to 20 hogs a day, and sometimes more. They need thses numbers because a hog will have a dozen piglets at a time, and will breed several times a year. So one female hog can produce as many as 40 - 50 new hogs per year. Taking one here, and one there, just isn't getting you anywhere. While I love dogs, and don't want to see any of them get hurt, I have also hunted with dogs all my life, and I'm here to tell you right now that a dog, on it's own, will tackle almost anything. That's why they are used as attack animals, and it's why we keep em around our homes. They are just doing what dogs do. The hogs they take on this show will all be used to feed some people that really need the meat.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

+1 Carver, all true.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I lived in south florida most of my life and used to hunt hogs every weekend and any other time I could. I used a blackhawk 41 mag pistol and have shot dozens of hogs after sneaking up on packs that are rooting and have had them charge me too. I have been in the woods with friends that hunted with dogs, but never cared much for it. We would build traps and catch 4-5 at a time sometimes and have 3-4 more on the outside of the trap too. Hogs can smell you and will sometimes run from what feel is danger. But I have snuck up on and killed several.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

So have I! Usually though, once you fire, the rest are gone! I have never hunted them just to kill them, I eat what I shoot. So if I get that hog with the first shoot, the hunting is usually over for the day. It's just these dang things breed so fast! And the damage they do to ranch land, and crops, is unbeliveable! Traps are the best way to go, IMHO!
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Hogs are good eating......I think we should send some to those poor Muslims that have to grow drugs in order to feed their families and fund their terror networks.....LOL

I know they can't always just shoot them because they maybe in thick brush or in a residential area, but they were showing some or the hogs a few hundred feet away in a field snarling and getting ready to charge....and instead of just shooting them off the back or their truck or ATV...they sent those dogs in. Seemed like a waste of time, shoot them then move on.

One guy who got 4 in a pen....he just had to climb in and tie them up to drag them out......pfff, the hell if I would want to get stuck by one of those things. He was getting close enough from the outside of the pen to take them out with a pick hammer to the head like they used to do livestock back in the day. So not telling what a 22 mag at close range would do. Shoot them then drag them out.

It was fun to watch regardless.....but I will still yell.."Just shoot them"...lol
  10. Double D

I had freezers full of pork and so did all my friends. I would never shoot and not eat the meat.
  11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I agree. Heck I would do a pig pickin every other day if I had too. I bet it is pretty good meat.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

If you want first rate pork, trap em, fatten em up on some good ole corn, and then butcher! The wild ones don't have as much fat on em as pen raised.
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Man...now I want some pork BBQ and some Brunswick Stew...some hushpuppies......some slaw........potato salad..... LOL
  14. Double D

Yea, feed them corn for a while and let them fatten up and clean out their system. Then go get some turkey size oven bags and season your meat and put it in the bag with chopped green peppers and onions then seal the bag with ties. Poke small vent holes in the bags and then wrap the bags in two layers of foil. Cook on the grill for about 6-7 hours turning them every hour. Then open up the bags and shake the tender meat off the bone and enjoy!
  15. red14

red14 Active Member

You ever shoot hogs out your way now? I know you are busy at the shop,
    but I know there are some pigs out there.
  16. Double D

No Red I havent. I quit hunting some years back. Sometimes I get the urge but I never follow thru.