Hokins & Allen revolver info?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by robertscheib, May 6, 2009.

1. robertscheib

robertscheib New Member

I'm looking for information concerning a "Hopkins & Allen XL Double Action" revolver, 5 round cylinder [.32cal?], short octagon barrel, Ser# 1951*. I was able to get a parts diagram/list from NUMRICH, but would like to get a year of manufacture and any history? Revolver is complete, but needs a trigger spring - NUMRICH doesn't have one.
  2. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hopkins & Allen firearms were made for many "company" and "business" tradenames and were produced mainly around the late 1800's, early 1900's. Many of the revolvers were nickle plated and were generally produced as a low cost alternative to the big name firearms makers. Their value has mostly been low due to their modest quality and quantities made.
    Your revolver is chambered for the .32 S & W cartridge.
    My grandfather was a general store clerk when young and collected the extra trading stamps that accompanied cases of plug tobacco. He acquired a Hopkins & Allen 5 shot nickle revolver stamped "Safety Police" with the stamps similar to yours except with a round barrel. I doubt if you will easily find parts for your revolver. In the 1940's I broke a part for mine and had a gunsmith make a duplicate.
    The serial numbers were started over many times for various models and configurations as desired by the buyers and do not point to manufacturing dates.
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

there were actually two very different revolvers H&A marked with the name XL double action. the early one will usually have at least one patent date marked on them, these are generally accepted as being manufactured between the 1880's and 1899. there was a fire at the H&A factory in february of 1899 which completly destroyed it. this left H&A with no production to fill the orders they had. as a stop gap measure (while the factory in norwich was being rebuilt) H&A purchased forehand arms company in worcester mass. the only firearms manufactured until the factory was rebuilt were marked forehand models by H&A. in about 1904/05 the XL Double Action was reintroduced but it was a different revolver than the early models as it was based on a forehand arms co. design. the markings on the strap of this model DO NOT have patent dates. this model remained in production until the end about 1917.

as there are no known factory serial numbers records the only dating of any H&A revolver is to the era of their manufacture.

there are companies in business to today that make generic springs for all early cartridge revolvers. these usually require some fitting. try bob's gun shop in royal arkansas, he does have a web site.
    bill
  4. robertscheib

robertscheib New Member

Thanks to both of you for the much appreciated comments - since placing this posting, I stripped the revolver to see what parts were indeed broken or missing, there were several - as "great uncle" had tried to make some repairs resulting in broken parts! I was able to source most of whats needed from NUMRICH, but am still on the hunt for the remaining bits. A friend has a "FOREHAND ARMS" .32 version that is identical to the H&A I am working on - we are discussing using parts from it as patterns and making up whats needed.
    My customer understands that this is not a valuable firearm - it's a family heirloom with a most interesting history and they really want it restored to working order, for display purposes only.
  5. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

You might still be able to buy the v trigger spring assortment from Dixie Gun Works. The springs come in various sizes and they can be adjusted with a grinder to replace the v trigger springs in most older revolvers.