Hole Spacing for Model 70 Winchester

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cpttango30, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Can someone point me to the Hole spacing specs for a winchester Model 70?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hole spacing ? for a scope mount ? or ?
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Oops yeah for the scope mount.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats gonna depend more on the mount you have

[​IMG]

this is the weaver "grandslam" with the correct cut out for the win 70

[​IMG]

and a Win after market rail

[​IMG]

you make the holes match these then mount your scope rings to that as best way unless you have weaver mount cuts already on the receiver ( some did i think the sears ones all had the weaver cuts or the ones here back when we could buy through sears as a kid.. )
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The rifle is already drilled and tapped I'm looking for the hole spacing before I buy a mount. So I know if the mount will fit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

then go the twin piece set ( old winchester pattern ) take your rifle to ensure the holes and the edges line up right though some have a edge that hangs over a bit that folks tend not to like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have 2 piece bases and I need a 1 piece 20 MOA picatinny rail cause this is turning into my F-Class rifle. Next year I am getting my real F-Class rifle in a Rem 700 5r and a McMillan F-Class stock.

Personally I think 2 piece bases are worthless there is just too much that can get out of whack with them that the convenience they offer doesn't out weigh the work that would need to be done to get them right and as accurate as I want them.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

OK let me be even more clear.

The rifle: 1917 Remington Enfield

The Scope: Current= Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40mm

Future: Sightron 8-32x56mm MOA-2 reticle

The mounts: Current= Leupold 2 piece bases with the back one made by a gun smith. Burris Signature rings with 30MOA in the inserts.

Future: Once piece Picatinny rail with 20 moa built in. Burris Signature Zee rings with either 0 or 10 moa inserts in it.

I only know that the gun has the ears milled off and it looks very close to a winchester Model 70 pattern. So I am really guessing at a base really. The original mounts were Leupold adjusto mounts where you made all your adjustments with the bases shimming either the front or back for elevation and using the windage screws on the back to make adjustments there. The scope was a Leupold Westerner 12x I believe I forget though (My dad kept the scope when he gave me the rifle. The old bases would only work with the old leupold scope nothing modern with a 40mm Objective on it. So I am really just shootin in the dark here hoping I kill something when it comes to the bases.

The reason: I am shooting F-Class matches now and my current set up is only good for 600 yards. I need to get to 1k.

Within the next few months I will be ordering a new stock from Richards microfit in the Clubertson or thumbhole bench rest style. In either Red and black or Yellow and Black (Wish they offered orange and black)

Here are some pictures to help you guys out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As she currently sits.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012