Holiday Spirits 2009

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silencer, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Once again, it's time for some Holiday Spirits! :D

Now that my The Macallan blue label is all gone, I have new spirits to acquire. Of course, I cannot do it without The Macallan. It's just this time around, I can't afford the 30 year old stuff. Nor the 25 or even the 18! 12 year will have to do.

[​IMG]

I also want to try Basil Hayden's bourbon. Never had it before. I understand it's very light bodied. Anybody had it before? How is it?

[​IMG]

I might want to try some Rye, as well. I hear Old Overholt is fantastic stuff. Anybody ever try that?

[​IMG]

So, have you got the 'spirit' of the holiday season, yet? If so, what are they?

:D
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Haven't had Old Overholt, but I do like Jim Beam's rye. That's what I was drinking the night I met my wife.
    No, I don't blame the whiskey.
  3. Silencer

I think Old Overholt is made by Jim Beam, so I'm sure it's not too far off.

Oh, thanks for responding to my thread. Looks like nobody here drinks for the holidays. Weird. :confused:
  4. navis128

navis128 New Member

Fermented beverages and I don't mix, but I think plenty here drink distilled spirits.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

The only time I do Whiskey is Kentucky Derby time. Still haven't been able to make Mint Juleps taste good but got got the real tumblers (silver) and the glasses with all the winners name on 'em so I keep trying (kinda like a duty or something:D).
  6. Silencer

Spice, minty, peppery and smooth! The finish tastes like a spicy candy cane! Perfect bourbon for the holidays. Though, it's a bit thin and simple for me, but still good.

[​IMG]
  7. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You just can't beat
    [​IMG]
  8. sniper58

sniper58 New Member

I'm not much on Bourbon or Rye.
    more of a rum drinker.
    Try some "Pyrat Rum"
    Nice stuff to sip from a snifter.
    You folks in the States can get it for about 1/2 what we have to pay in Canada.
  9. ARB

ARB New Member

I'll usually buy a bottle of Knob Creek around this time.
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I found some Canadian blended whiskey called Wiser's that's cheaper than Crown and aged 10 years the other day. It's pretty good stuff!...

I think that since Jameson Irish Whiskey has decreased significantly in price that it will be my choice for getting toasty on Christmas Eve. :D

For some reason this time of year gets me wanting a good Irish or Canadian whiskey. I don't think it has anything to do with seasonal cheer but rather my ridiculous stress and work load at this time of year... :eek:
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

No offence intended, but "vodka, Bleeah!" Vodka tastes like...vodka. I've had Grey Goose and Wolfschmidt, and it all tastes the same to me.
    Keep it in the freezer, cold kills taste.
    If you can't drink it cool (not cold) it obviously needs the taste killed.

Guinness. Good for beer lovers if cool, good for wannabee's cold. Smooth for both.
    Kentucky Gold. Cheap as it gets, but goes down really well. A favorite of mine.
    Crown Royal, any variety. Due to past experiences of an adult nature, I am restricted from this spirit by my wife. It's good though. She gets tired easy.

I won't get it for Christmas, but I do love Absinthe. The old flap about Thujone is groundless, it doesn't make it through the distillation process. Go ahead and hit it if you like licqorice type flavors. Very high proof though, if you get the real stuff. Recently re-legalized. I get the variety that has Salvia in it here, makes me notice some things like bright lights more. Kind of makes me uncharactaristically agressive too.

Remember, friends: guns and alcohol mix even less well than cars and alcohol. Drop the gun off at home if you're drinking.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I drink it room temperature... That may be the problem, Grey Goose is garbage, never heard of Wolfschmidt. If it isn't Russian or Polish (the actual birth place of Vodka) why bother drinking it- that French Grey Goose crap is... well... crap.

Pick up any of the three I pictured and you will get a new experience :D. The илит may be the best, but it is very pricey, about $60 a bottle I think. The Luksusowa is a much better buy at $15, but obviously not nearly as good. Can pick up рксский стандарт (Russian Standard) for about $25-$30 I think and, though I bought it in Russia (may be a different ingredient list, but probably not) it was delicious.

Stolichnaya, which makes the илит also makes a cheaper brand (just called Stolichnaya) which is alright, but not as good as the top three in my opinion.

Interesting fact. Stolichnaya is actually owned by Pepsi, it was one of the few (if not only) companies the Soviet Union actually sold to western powers. The Russian government has for years tried to sue for ownership (probably on the basis that the Soviet powers did not have the legal authority to sell it or something) but to no avail.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

You mean to say that American companies might be a**holes? No way! That's UnAmerican!
    *Tongue firmly, very firmly, planted in cheek.*
  15. petesusn

petesusn New Member

So now that egg nog is on the shelves what goes best with it? Whiskey, rum, vodka?
  16. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Rye works well with egg-nog!
  17. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Amaretto somehow works with nog, too.
  18. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Yea, never thought of Rye. But doesn't the bread get soggy?
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I wouldn't put Vodka in egg nog :D. I'll admit, many see Vodka as nothing more than a mixer, it is good with a little tonic, particularly if it is cheap vodka.

Another interesting fact, it is considered bad etiquette to open a bottle of Vodka at the dinner table, and not finish it!
  20. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Why not extend the turkey season???

Attached Files: