Holland Banbury percussion pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by beanpole, Jul 25, 2012.

1. beanpole

beanpole New Member

I have a percussion pistol I purchased 40-50 years ago. It is marked Holland Banbury on the left side. The main body is all engraved brass. The hammer has little marks on it that looks like fish scales. The wood grip looks like cherry and has flat sides and a rounded butt. On the underside of the round barrel is a little slotted piece of metal with what looks like crossed swords? in front of it. Just behind it, on the brass in front of the wide trigger guard is another stamp that looks like crossed swords. I do have a bill of sale for the weapon, (if I can find it) where it shows it was originally purchased at a shop in England in I believe it was the 50's. I think it is probably somewhere in the 50+ caliber range. It is excellent condition. No serious pitting, no cracks in the wood. Will post pictures as soon as we can get some good ones taken. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      159.2 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      161.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Banbury is an English town SE of Birmingham and the "crossed swords" are probably the crossed scepters Birmingham proofmarks.

Boothroyd's Directory of British Gunmakers does not list a Holland in Banbury and he may have just been a retailer.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Ok there was a big investigation into this , seems history recorded a famous gunmaker from one place , and the facts where wrong , it started here

read the story

http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/local/mystery-gun-going-to-auction-1-593310

later it was stated by a heap of experts that the gun was a early holland and holland , and possibly before the partnership

they now know one of the hollands came from Banbury and was based in the mill there , but had a shop and smith in London and thats where his mark was registered too , and why folks always thought he was from there . look up holland london you'll find him (Henry William Harris Holland or as the register notes on his trades certificate Henry William Harris he apprenticed with his uncle THE Holland went out on his own and they partnered in 1876 ) , as he was not a socialite and kept to himself not much is known of this gent while the other was well kniown and rather flamboyant ,

so it's yet to be made official , but the consensus is its pre holland and holland and already the prices have gone up to match

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=A1048 550 &refno= 40926&saletype=
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. beanpole

beanpole New Member

I posted pictures of the Holland Banbury, but we put them on the original post and I do not know how to update them so people will see them as new posts?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Nice little box lock typical of the period

i have a Knock Bros almost identical