Hollywood and The Bullet Proof Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by 45Auto, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I watched a new Hollywood drama a few days ago, all about these folks in the far future going back in time to the age of the dinosaurs. It was a fun show, However, I found it curious how many rounds of ammunition these folks shot at a T Rex without effect. It reminded me of other movies. Some years ago in a different movie, there was a T Rex wondering around Los Angelus eating people and not responding to bullets. What the heck is it about Hollywood Dinosaurs? Do you suppose if there were any real T Rex's around that they would be impervious to small arms fire? :eek:

So, what do you think folks? What would you use to shoot a T Rex?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

.416 rigby or 50 bmg maybe a .700 nitro express might do it but I wouldn't expect much from pistols or small caliber rifles, at least if my life was on the line the .577 TRex is aptly named maybe it would kill it ;) you wouldn't catch me shootin' at TRex with an m4 or some 9mm
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

"Terra Nova". Seemed like it will be a pretty good show.

Anyway, if it was real life and it only took one well placed round to kill a dinosaur, there wouldn't be any excitement.
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

You nailed it, Drama!

In real life, what are they using in Australia to kill the big crocks? If one of those things was rushing for me I'd want something effective. .500 S&W? 12 ga slug?
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

12 guage slug I think would do the job on one of those crocs quite nicely.
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I think skin thickness, and density, as well as the sheer mass of a T-Rex is our limiting factor. Ideally there would be a small fleet of folks with 12 gauge slugs in their high capacity tube shooters, to essentially "soften 'im up a bit." This'll create a cavity for our next group of shooters to fill up with lead. They might be our .223/5.56, or .243/.270 win. (small, fast, destructive) guys, the North American Big Game hunter crowd covering the .30 cal/7mil+(large, fast, destructive) variety, and then theres the "nitro" loads from a variety of collectors. Like the .416 Rigby, or .458 LOTT. These are the ones that I would wanna use if we were shoulder firing rifles at Dinosaurs... "Karamojo" Bell, the famous African hunter used to hunt everything with a .264 cal jacketed solid, or a 6.5x55. He also used to thread brain shots on pissed of animals at 2-20 yds. So that kind of defeats the purpose of needing stopping power...but still, he proved that you can drop a charging Elephant with realtively TINY, solid rounds, in front of HEAVY loads. They did the job, when used properly.
  7. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Damn....I sold my .458W a couple years ago...I knew I shouldnt have done that...What will I do now if a T-Rex starts rooting my garden???:D
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I remember a Capstick story, some years back. Crocodile. He was asked to come shoot it, as it was eating too many villagers.

So he toddles over to the river, and there this 15 or 16 foot crocodile is, layin' up on the bank. Pete shot it. Top of its head just kinda disintegrates. So, what's he do? Shoots it again. He was quoted as saying that them 500 Nitro bullets ran around 7 dollars each, but that was much cheaper than a hospital stay, and he always shot dangerous animals more than he thought they needed.

Croc is laying there on the bank. Deader'n hell. Then it gets up off its belly and starts down the bank t'wards the river. He shoots it again. Now it's dead.

Then it gets up and starts down the bank again. Shoot it again. NOW it's dead. They watch for a while. Yep, it's dead. Couple of the villagers go grab it by the tail and drag it farther up the bank. No reaction. Dead.

They go to have tea. When they come back, they find a buzzard in the croc's mouth. Buzzard seemed to have landed for lunch, and the croc weren't quite dead, yet.

Shot it again.

Them big lizards is much harder to kill than big mammals.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Penetration would be the problem. Getting the bullet to the vital organs. I'm thinking 50BMG, with armor piercing rounds.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

when in africa there was not a elephant safe cause of the AK's and HK's getting about , i think a AK would sort a T Rex
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I remember from dinosaur 101 that many dinosaur's had a brain no larger than a pea. In fact, some had a second brain in their tail to help control such large bodies. That, together with thick skin and dense bones would probably result in a very difficult creature to kill. Vital hits would be a matter of luck and it would take quite a while for one of them to bleed out. A bazooka comes to mind as a weapon of choice.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

balistics 101 shows that it aint what you hit but the shock imparted to the target that does the killing , yes brain shots are best , but a brain shot is doable without hitting the actual brain , the shock imparted by the round to the skull is often enough to do the job

give me a SLR ( FN/FAL) and a big clear paddock and drop in a t rex , i know who'd i'd getting the BBQ ready for ..

3-4 rounds mid chest would stop a whale

2-3 head shots that dont hit the brain should be enough if they dont glance off

bone is not as dense or as strong as some good timbers

i dont know any timber strong enough to hold back a 7.62mm NATO round in thickness less than 6"

its all flesh after that
  13. armoredman

armoredman New Member

GAU8A would be my personal choice...Hey, if I go outside of reality so far as to meet a T-Rex, I can just reach out and grab an A-10, too!
  14. herohog

herohog New Member

.303 Lee Enfield for the win! They have killed thousands of elephants and big game!

[​IMG]
  15. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Everybody knows that the T-Rex cannot be killed. He has to come back for sequels. Time to dust off Mothra.