holographic sight for 44magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mtnman05, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

I am trying to find a good small lightweight holo sight to go on my 629. Where I deer/bear hunt at in the mountains of northern Georgia I get a 75yd shot at the most so I may start using only a handgun to make it easier walking up and down the hills.
    I have looked at different ones and I dont really want to put $500 in a sight. I like something like the eotechs that people are using on the ARs but I have heard they won't handle the recoil of a 44 magnum.
    Any suggestions for something durable for under $200
  2. The Count

The Count New Member

I have 2 EoTech 517 and believe me, they handle recoil. One of mine is on a AK47 with zero issues.

But I can understand the budget problem. How about a good red dot? Even some in the $70-100 range are decent (Tru-glo etc). Buy it from Amazon, you can return just about anything with them if you are not happy.
  3. mtnman05

mtnman05 New Member

I have considered those. Just want something compact and lightweight that I can sight my gun in with and be more accurate than iron sights. The iron sights on my 629 are so large its hard for me to be accurate over 30-50yds.
  4. MoreGuns

MoreGuns New Member

You might consider the Burris FastFire II sight. I've had lots of experience with the old Optima 2000 sight, and it has not problems with 357 Mag and 9mm. I've got a FastFire on order to put on another handgun, so I'll try to post once I get it tested. However, if looks just like a clone of the Optima, so I'm expecting good results.
  5. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

I have a Millett red dot on my .44mag and after 7 yrs it still functions as it did at first. They said it would withstand recoil and it does.
  6. armabill

armabill Member

You going to hunt bear with a red dot? Hope that the battery doesn't die when you need it the most.

It happened to me when deer hunting. I now use a 2x scope.

Just something to consider.