Holster for Pietta 1858 New Army .44 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sstephenson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

I need some help finding a leather holster for a Pietta reproduction of the Remington 1858 .44 cal New Army revolver with an 8" barrel. Nothing too pricey. I prefer brown leather. Mostly for protecting the firearm, not actually wearing it. Thanks.
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Maybe the holster you are looking for is a 'Civil War' Confederate (brown) flap-style holster. Many offer this one for around $40 - Cabellas, Dixie Gun Works, just to name a few.

A military flap holster will do just what you are asking for - they protect the revolver from dirt, water and scratches. I've used these for years for an 1858 Remington (replica) as well as a Colt Cavalry with a 7" barrel, and they are very utilitarian. The one for my Colt is a black holster and right handed.

Because you want a brown holster, the Confederate holster is the right color. The Union holster was black. They were usually worn left-handed, so the soldier could use his right hand to control his mount, and drawn and fire with the left hand. A 'CS' buckel and brown leather waist belt would go good with that holster. I would'nt store any pistol in a holster - that will promote rust.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. sstephenson

sstephenson New Member

Thanks guys! Yes, those look great and the price is certainly right. I also appreciate the tip about the holster potentially promoting rust.
  5. taeast

taeast New Member

Anyone know where I can find one for a 12 inch barrel, 1858, 44 cal black powder?
  6. skullfr

skullfr New Member

7. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That may be hard to find. May have to have one made.
  9. tyc

tyc New Member

You wouldn't believe how many holster makers there are out there, with holsters for your (mine to) "New Army" Remington ... all you have to do is put a pot of coffee on, make some toast, butter it up, sit down and start with a search engine ... you will be at it a while.

Oh, about that advise about not keeping your Remington in the holster, he's right. Don't do it, at least for long periods.

Gonna store it for a while, wipe it down with a light coat of all things, vegatable oil.

Hope this helps.

tyc
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I leave mine in holsters all the time but not chrome tanned holsters.
  11. tyc

tyc New Member

Hawg ...

And how do you know you have or don't have a "chrome tanned" holster?

What do you look for? How can you tell? What does it look like? etc etc etc

tyc
  12. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

I have a US Army leather holster with a flap, calvary style. It is not chrome tanned, which is used for garment making. It is oak (vegetable) tanned, so it can be carved and formed to the pistol. It is a cross-draw, which was used in that era because it was difficult to draw right-handed from a horse. Few men carried a pistol like in the Western movies. Bianchi made my holster, I made the belt. There are no ammo loops, you were suppose to have a ball pouch that you carried the lead balls in, and a powder horn or flask for the black powder. Of course, patch knife and ticking and grease was needed.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Chrome tanned won't hold up under heavy use, it gets loose and floppy. With leather you generally get what you pay for and cheap leather is usually chrome tanned. It's usually pretty thin too. If you oil chrome tanned leather it gets loose and floppy a lot faster.
  14. 01brian

01brian New Member

I'm not sure how the cabella's gear is tanned. But i picked up the "CS" leather belt, the flap holster, cylinder cases and powder flask holder for my 1858 about 3 years ago. I'm still real happy with the set up. I would like to upgrade someday, but that is way down the "to-get" list.
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The Oklahoma Leather Cabella's sells is, for the most part anyway chrome tanned. It's ok for now and then use but won't hold up to heavy use. I have the same belt and a couple of Oklahoma Leather slim jims but they don't get used much. Now I had an Oklahoma Leather double rig and it got some heavy use. It wasn't long before the guns sunk so deep it took both hands to draw and the lips folded over so it took both hands to reholster.