Holster for Pietta 1858 New Army .44 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sstephenson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 01brian

01brian New Member

Thanks for the info Hawg. My BP stuff is not heavily used (yet), but I will be looking for another holster for my next revolver that will be.
  2. kempnerkaos

kempnerkaos New Member

I just bought that exact revolver at Cabellas,exept I chose the 5 1/2 inch barrell option on mine. I bought A holster while I was there for around 19.00 and it is tan and leather like you want.Unfortunately that was 2 months ago and I do not have the item number.They have many just like them in different lengths though around the 20 buck range.Without the number it does not help you alot,but I can say they have plenty so if your in the neighborhood of A cabellas they will have what You want.Mine broke in just by simply keeping the revolver holstered,and wore it around the yard a couple times to get it used to movement.It Broke in quick and easy...no special greases,lubricants etc needed...
  3. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

Go to mountainstatesupply.com
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I just bought two holsters from Dells Leatherworks for my Walker pistol's. You can get them in russet or black and right side or left side and butt to the front or rear. I got them a week after ordering even though they told me it could be 10 weeks or more. They sent me a bottle of neatsfoot oil for the holsters and I thought that was a nice gesture on their part. After that kind of service I will be making another order for more gear from them real soon. Needs me a belt for those holsters, and suspenders, and buckles, and bullet pouches and....

http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/holsters.htm
  5. tyc

tyc New Member

I've delt with Dells as well ... good outfit.

Also, have a look at Triple K in San Diego CA.

tyc
  6. Gunslinger9378

Gunslinger9378 New Member

Dear Friends,
    I hand-make holsters, but I am not cheap. Mainly because I do not use a sewing machine, but sew them by hand with double needles. This takes time, and time is money! I use heavy saddle leather for all the holsters I make, and that's not cheap either. However they DO last. You could pass them onto your children!
    A side note on Neatsfoot Oil. Do not use it on the inside of a holster to improve your, "Fast Draw." It will eventually result in a gummy mess! If you want a revolver to come out of a holster real slick, take a cotton ball, and dip it in some talcum powder, and smear the inside of the holster with a thin film of the powder. You'll be surprised at how quickly and smoothly the gun will come into your hand! If you are a western Gun Enthusiast, and have paid ANY attention to history, you'll know that in the Old West there was no such thing as a fast draw. That came about as a result of a surge of interest in Old Wests History in about the 1920's. Some writers, anxious to climb on the bandwagon, actually decided to look up some of the stories about the Old West Gunmen, and researched old newspaper accounts. In the journalistic parlance of the 1880's, it was customary to refer to a dangerous man as being one who was,"Quick to Shoot." This did NOT mean that he was fast on the draw! It meant that he had an uncertain temperament, and was liable to resort to the use of firearms at very little provocation! But these writer bucko's didn't have the sense to realise this, and they, "invented," Fast Draw!
    In actual fact the very first Fast Draw contest was in California,(Where else?) in 1950, and was organised by no less a pistoleero than the Late, Great Jeff Cooper! (Former Colonel, U.S.M.C.) It was called, "The Leatherslap Contest." From this early beginning, came the I.P.S.C., and later on, Cowboy Action Shooting. The most prominent organisation in this sport is S.A.S.S. (Single Action Shooting Society.) the Leaders of which seem to regard themselves as above us mere mortals! They can be recognised at competitions, dressed in Old West Garb, (But a lot cleaner than the originals!) and staggering under the weight of enough artillery to make their horses swaybacked! They claim to be "Realistic," in their approach to the sport, but have rules that are very restrictive to persons who really know how to carry and use a pistol safely! However, when one looks at some of the competitors, one has to consider that the rules are probably a good idea. Wouldn't do shooters as a hole any good, if some of them shot themselves! Especially at a contest where there were lots of spectators!!!(Sigh!)
    Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.
  7. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Active Member

I saw holsters of the "Hickock" style at Cabala's...looked to be for 8 1 1/2" barrel.