Holster Query

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by kilogulf59, Mar 7, 2009.

1. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

OK folks I need opinions preferably from actual owners of these holsters. I recently dusted off my old Government Model MKIV Series 70 and need a holster for it.

I am down to two models currently. One is the Bianchi Minimalist and the other is a Don Hume Open Top Belt Holster H721 OT.

The Minimalist appears to allow the pistol to ride a bit lower, a good thing IMO but, being open bottomed, I am afraid of abusing the exposed portion of my pistol. Also of the pistol being pushed up while I’m seated.

The Hume H721 OT appears to be a bit higher of a ride but it is enclosed to protect the pistol.

Do any of you have experience with either of these two holsters and a 1911? How the lining? What about retention? Assistance is much appreciated – Thank you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. I did try the Minimalist once, kilo, with a Glock, and found that I didn't like it worth beans, primarily for the reasons you cite. For one thing, if you are carrying concealed, and the pistol barrel happens to poke out from under your shirt or jacket inadvertently when you bend over, some Little Old Lady from Pasadena might have a coronary. :D If the barrel is fully covered, at least it might be taken as a cell phone case or the like, rather than a gun holster. Personally, I like a holster to ride high rather than low because it is generally more comfortable and gives better concealment, but that is strictly a matter of personal preference.
  3. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Thank PS I agree. The Minimalist might be OK for a snub nose or short auto but not a full size .45.

So far it's lookin' like the DH for the .45...as soon as I get the $$$...LOL
  4. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I cannot see the 721 being any better for the 5" 1911. I have one for my Ruger SP-101 with a 2" barrel and it is perfect for that gun, but I would have to say no for the big 45.

[​IMG]
  5. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

"but I would have to say no for the big 45."

Can you elaborate?
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

To date, the most comfortable holster I've worn is the Lo-Profile from www.wilsoncombat.com

The Lo-Profile® holster is designed for the person that carries all day long and demands maximum comfort and concealability. This holster's pancake style design actually conforms to the shape of the waist, blending its lines to those of the person wearing it. This feature has obvious benefits for concealment, but also helps the holster feel more comfortable with less likelihood of it hanging up on objects or shifting position.

The two-belt slot design positions the holster with a slight forward cant while providing incredible stability. This carry position offers maximum comfort and concealability while allowing a very smooth draw from just about any position. The low-cut front will have you clearing leather just above the belt line. A custom-formed safety guard is incorporated in this design to protect the thumb safety and your clothing during carry. Bill Wilson says: "It's one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever worn." Meets I.D.P.A. criteria.

Only Available For: All 1911-style single-stack pistols with 3 1/4" - 5" barrels
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I carry a .45, and it's a heavy gun, don't want any more weight hanging from my belt than necessary. While I don't use the Minimalist, I do use a Yaqui style holster. My gun doesn't hang up on things, and I have no problem bending over and exposing the gun. To each his own.

Attached Files:

8. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

My problem is the length. The big 5" gun, with the slots positioned for such low carry, means you have to wear a long cover garment to keep the bottom of the holster/muzzle from peeking out. This is true with just about any holster and the ones that don't cover the slide/muzzle can even be worse. I know that there are those, more than likely some here, that carry the 5" 1911 that way, and I do not want to offend anyone that does. Actually, I appluad them for their efforts. I have however seen quite a few 1911 muzzles/holsters peeking out from underneath cover garments. This could be because I am a bit more aware than non-carrying public, but I watch the LEO's as well and they also notice and sometime make the person carrying aware they are showing.

Carrying a 5" 1911 can be done with a holster that mounts the gun higher above the belt or IWB style carry. There are several holster makers out there that specialize in that type of high mount carry. Don Hume may have a holster that mounts the gun higher above the belt, but the 721 OT's, that I have seen do not.

tex45acp
  9. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

OK, thanks that could be an issue but I prefer a lower ride holster. I'll have to think about this and thank you again.