holster

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by the wolf, Apr 1, 2012.

1. the wolf

the wolf New Member

OK folks I dont know where this thread would go. so I put it here unless the big brass wants to move it. I am looking for a shoulder holster for my springfeild 4 inch 1911. I am looking for a simple good comfy holster without the mag pouch on one side. I like leather and seems to fit better than plastic. I am looking something not over a 100 buck. This I can use when I go fishing trip and good for winter carry.
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Ah, the price tag will getcha, good leather costs. You can look in pawn shops and your local gun shops "used holster bin", found lots of good cheap stuff there.
    From good companies you have slim pickins...

On the other hand this is perfect for you.
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2640&GunID=210
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Except he stated he didn't want the mag pouch on the off side.

Personally, I find the mag carriers balance the weight of the gun much better but it's a personal preference thing.
  4. the wolf

the wolf New Member

I am willing to go over abit over 100 bucks and just learned that better leather will cost abit. As Norc said, it would make sense to balance the gun with the mag pouch.. something I wasnt thinking of
  5. norahc

norahc Active Member

In that case, Galco (as previously suggested) would be a good choice.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed the Galco holster that I have and would (probably "will") order another, but I personally don't like shoulder holsters. They're just not my thing.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Mine either! Too many draw backs!
  8. norahc

norahc Active Member

While it's not my first (or even second) choice for carrying, shoulder holsters do have their uses. Depending upon the type of fishing the OP is doing, it might be easier to keep the gun out of the water. Another time they are useful is on long road trips when driving.
  9. Guts3d

Guts3d Active Member

I sometimes carry a matched pair of stainless 1911's in a dual horizontal shoulder rig. Very comfortable, and the weight exactly balances.
  10. the wolf

the wolf New Member

such as???? I would like to know.
  11. norahc

norahc Active Member

Unnatural drawing method, when drawing or holstering the muzzle WILL sweep over some part of your body, harder to carry concealed.
  12. the wolf

the wolf New Member

I would like to hear other choice.. thats why Iam all ear for it it. I do have ibw holster, made by smithy, model called comandor( sp) I use offen. but when comes to fishing, I got my chest high waders,, so it can be hellish to try pull the gun out of that. also dont need to let other know that I am CC.
  13. norahc

norahc Active Member

In the fishing scenario you posted, I think a shoulder holster would be the best choice.
  14. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I have a galco IWB concealed carry for my Taurus 24/7 and it is nice However, yesterday the mailman delivered my new Blackhawk Serpa. I know you do not like plastic (well actually this is carbon fiber but looks plastic) but my belt is tight enough without the gun inside it. LOL I really like the way the Blackhawk carrys the gun so far.
  15. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

If anyone needs holsters, I can normally beat just about any price out there. I am primarily a fire/rescue dealer. But, my main supplier is loaded with anything police or SWAT related. They have a huge selection of holsters and even have some AR parts and accessories. The Galco holster mentioned above is even in stock as we speak if you are interested.
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    None of the better instructurs who teach SD shooting will advise the shoulder holster. It is slower to get the gun out. You have to sweep your own arm. You will sweep any inocent bystanders on your week side, and it usually takes two hands to get the gun out, and then back in. If you are attacked, and you are trying to defend yourself bare handed, how do you drop both hands, and try to get the gun into action?

As to the fishing in waders part of your question, the shoulder holster might be the best bet because you can get to it. But for everyday carry the shoulder holster is not the best idea. OWB, IWB, are the best way to carry, and the small of the back is just as bad an idea as the shoulder holster. Another bad thing about the shoulder holster is that if that is what you are using, and you walk into a warm inviorment, guess who's going to sweating their butts off?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Dittos on the Blackhawk Serpa holster. I have one for my 1911's and while I love leather I can't imagine a better functioning holster than this one. It locks pistol in securely, it unlocks and draws quickly and smoothly, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  18. the wolf

the wolf New Member

Running,, you are right, leather is nice and breathable dittio on plastic or carbon which is new to me. I got the summer comfort made by smithy also Galco makes them too. IBW type for my daily carry.. the snaps are a pain in the ass.. rather have the j hooks for quick removal when going into fedrel building for meetings.
    Caver.. thanks for your great imputs. true it can be slower to drawing and would bring attenion to BG also a warmer climate area not good for gun.
    follks, I am a strong supporter for ibw system, just looking for something when I am on the fishing tour.. dont need bear, rabid coons, rattlers near me. never know going to get nutso on the riverside try to sack you.
    JB resuce.. pm for you.