Holsters and Mag Holders

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Oct 30, 2007.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

So what does everyone use for holsters, magazine holders, and also holsters for IDPA if different from typical holsters?

What's the best size Uncle Mike's holster for a typical 1911?
  2. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

Don't waste your money on an uncle mikes holster. They are nylon and don't offer much support. Get either Leather or Kydex. I rather Leather but some people like kydex. Look at Galco, Bianchi, DeSantis, Blackhawk, Safariland, Fobus... one of the good companies. Don't cheap out on a holster. It is well worth it to purchase a nice on the first time around instead of slowly realizing that your cheap one won't cut it. it will save you money in the long run.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I get my holsters from Blade Tech.
    They have mag holders too.

http://www.blade-tech.com/

Do you know which "belt loop" you need?
  4. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

oops... forgot about bladetech. I also found another company that is kinda under the radar. It is called 5.11 Tactical. Bladetech makes all of their holsters.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

www.wilsoncombat.com then click leather. Wilson says wear the holster around the house a couple of days and if you don't like it, send it back for another style. Nothing wrong with that. Also, Wilson Holsters are IDPA approved. Keep that in mind before ordering ANY holster.

As a side note. ALWAYS use a good pistol belt with your holster and mag pouches. Give them a good mounting platform.

Nothing like a nice holster and mag pouch on a sagging belt. You may just as well use a nylon holster on a piece of rope.
  6. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Elpaso Sadlery for customer made lined holsters (6-8 week delivery) and Bianchi for mag holders.

Neverhome
  7. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I mostly use a Galco iwb summer carry leather. It's my favorite cc.

I also have a Galco with a strap for atv/ snowmobile riding. Great holster.

I have an uncle mikes. It's good at the range, where you don't mind powder and stench on it, but Galco is worth more than the difference in cash.

Go Galco, and Go leather in my opinion. (or just go gangster style and stuff it whereever it fits, but don't blow your balls off)
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I use a Bianchi #59 paddle holster in leather.

Works fine for all of my 340 lbs at 5' 10".

Oversized dark colored Tees hide it just fine.
  9. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I carry my Wilson Professional in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Since i did not order this holster from Sparks, I use a Don Hume double mag pouch.

tex45acp

[​IMG]
  10. That point can't be emphasized enough, Shooter. Even the best and most expensive holster ever made is worthless without a good belt to support it, especially with a relatively heavy handgun like the 1911. A good belt is not cheap, but they last literally for years. Don Hume makes a very good one, as do most of the other custom holster makers. They usually run somewhere around $50 to $60.
  11. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I like the holsters and mag holders from Kramer (and they're local)
    Here's my Springfield Operator, my Kimber Ultra Tac II, and a Taurus PT 140 Millennium Pro (in a Galco). All are IWB
    Sorry for the small picture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  12. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

This one is a little better (okay, not much:rolleyes:)

Attached Files:

13. Kramer builds the best holster out there IMHO, Shimon, their MSP paddle. I have one for each of the pistols and revolvers I most commonly carry. They are not cheap by any means (about $150 in horsehide) but solid as a rock.
  14. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I agree Pistol. and as I mentioned, they are nearby in Tacoma, WA.
    Small little family operation. I like that I can drop in and maintain a more personal relationship with them. BTW, buying from them is the most expensive way, so let me know if you're looking for something and I'll check out a couple of venders in the area that carry a lot of Kramer...for a lot less
    I also have their OWB's for the SA and Kimber, love them, and use them when possible
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  15. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    As I have stated in previous posts, I'm left handed and that presents certain challenged when shopping for firearms accessories.

I've found that custom is generally the way to go but the price has limited me to occasional purchases. My other option is looking through boxes of miscellaneous used leather at gun shows. Occasionally a gem will crop up at a very good price.

I have three primary CCW pieces with different holsters for each.

I have a Cobra Gunskin pancake for my S&W 645, still breaking it in so I haven't used to carry yet. Very high quality though. I also have a Bianchi vertical shoulder holster for use when I'm going to be spending a lot of time in a vehicle.

For my PPK (most often used for CCW) I use a simple Uncle Mikes IWB. Not a high quality holster but works for the lightweight Walther. I am looking at Ted Blocker Holsters (local in the Portland area) for good leather IWB, ankle and shoulder holster.

Occasionally I carry a S&W model 15 that normally sits in the night stand; this is only when staying in a motel overnight or other times when my wife may need access. I have a good leather Bianchi paddle holster with a thumb break for this revolver.

My next CCW pistol will be either a S&W 4516 or 457. I'm planning on outfitting it with leather in IWB and horizontal shoulder rigs. Here again I'm seriously looking at Ted Blocker.