Holsters iwb-owb

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mr. Al, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mr. Al

Mr. Al New Member

I just ordered a owb holster. the problem is I'm tall with a bit of a belly so my pants are worn a little low. I need a long shirt to conceal properly. I might change holsters to iwb. Now if dress pants are to tight could I wear the iwb outside using the metal clip between the pants and belt?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

As long as it stays concealed then you can wear it any way you can. What gun? maybe we could help with a good IWB that works either way.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That wouldn't work. An IWB is designed to go inside the pants, with a clip to keep it from sliding down. So an IWB for a right/hand carry will have the clip on the RIGHT side. And OWB holster has the clip/belt loop on the opposite side. For a right/hand carry, it will be on the LEFT side of the holster. If you wish to take your R/H IWB and wear it outside your pants, you will either need to wear it backwards (cavalry draw) or on the LEFT side.

Second problem is that IWB holsters, since they are designed to have your waistband/belt helping to hold the gun in place, have very little security, and if they are worn on the outside of the pants, can lose the gun fairly easily.

Now, you said "putting the clip between the pants and the belt". If, instead, you wore the holster outside the pants, but underneath the belt, with the clip outside the belt, then it would be on the correct side, and the belt would help with security. That would probably work.
  4. Mr. Al

Mr. Al New Member

I have two guns FN-9 and a Glock 27. The FN was hard to find but I did find one at Highnoon in Florida.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Try a Cross Breed super tuck on the glock. You can set the clips high enough that the bulk of the gun is below the waist line anyway. Thats how my 642 was with my Don Hume Holster. If the pants were a tighter fit, no way they would buckle but with the supertuck it holds the cylinder below the waist line and belt so only the handle adds any thickness but it will still draw clean bc of the polymer mold on the holster. .
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I personally can't stand anything between my pants, and my body. I use a Yaqui style holster (OWB), a belt slide. It keeps the bulk of the gun above the belt. I also buy shirts that are a size large, or have a very long tail on them. Try the big and tall shop.
  7. martinclaybold

martinclaybold New Member

I would suggest you Beretta Holsters. I got a very good bargain at GunHolsterPro.com. Why don't you too try up there. I'm sure you'll find something meeting your requirements.