Holsters

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by E-Rez, Jul 6, 2009.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Hey y'all. Newbie here. I wanna pick your brains on what holsters you'd suggest for open carry. I have a 4" xd 40 and am not much of a fan of the holster that came with it. Makes me carry it less than i'd like. From what i've read, the blackhawk serpa holsters are the cats hiney. I think leather holsters look way better though...what's good in leather? I'm a wisconsin resident, so don't suggest concealed holsters. Very touchy subject and you'll make me jealous.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

personally i'd go with a Galco cop 3 slot. or Galco Fletch holster. the cop 3 slot will give you some options with on angle and cross draw ability if desired
  3. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I have a XD40 and I carry it in either a Blackhawk (non-Serpa) or a
    Don Hume 721 open top.
  4. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

welcome to the forum E!! glad to have tou with us.

i know you said leather.. but if a country boy may... id like to suggest a Fobus Roto-Paddle holster. its a polymer holster that has a flap that slips down inside your pants... i have three holsters for my .357sig XD and its the one i use the most for open carry. like you i dont like the holster supplied from springfield, and i also have a tactical drop leg.... i was iffy at first of the holsters... but once i tried one out i had to have one because its soo comfortable. you hardly know its there. when i wear mine i put it almost over my back pocket... since its the roto (rotating) version i keep it with an "fbi kant" since ive got mine ive had mine i have converted one of buddies and 2 narcotics officers from the local sheriffs office (i work at the college pd in town..). they were all amazed with the holster because the retention is soo good. the only way to get the pistol out is to pull it straight with the way the holster is sitting. it took me about ten minutes to get used to how to draw my weapon..

this is what i have
    http://www.fobusholster.com/products/SPRINGFIELD_ARMORY_XD_ROTO_HOLSTER_PADDLE-3747-161.html
  5. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Heck yeah, a paddle wouldn't be bad. I do have a leg tactical holster that i don't wear much cause it rotates around my leg no matter how tight i make it. Looking strictly for a belt or paddle holster.

What's the difference between serpa and non-serpa?

My biggest complaint with the supplied xd holster is that the grip of the gun tips away from my body...puts more pressure on my waist and the holster flops in and out. I wanna get away from that.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

A good gun belt will correct that problem.
  7. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

The belt i wear is an inch and a half...or does that not matter?
  8. J.R.

J.R. New Member

an 1 1/2in is ok but your better gun belts have either an extra peice of leather sewn into th middle or a peice of pvc or metal strip sewn in. i have many holsters even some light weight uncle mikes but after purchising a very good gun belt the holsters all carry great.
    http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com/category/accessories.belts/
    good luck
    JR
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Serpa is the retention device used by Blackhawk. Good advice on getting
    a "good" gun belt. I use Bianchi or Don Hume. Another good belt holster
    is the Galco Concealable. I use the Galco a lot with my XD40.
  10. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I like the Bianchi Black Widow with thumbreak for open carry, it is comfortable, safe and that holster looks sexy! :O
  11. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Welcome to the forum. Try on as many different styles as you can. Go to gunshops and gun shows. There is an endless supply of holsters to choose from. Figure what fits your body size and how you want to carry. Inside the pants?, outside belt?, etc. Inside the pants is less comfortable but you will get used to it. It will also give many more options for conncealment. In the summer you wear less clothes.
    Good luck . Let us know what you find.
  12. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Welcome E!! I have an XD 40 and have found the Fobus paddle holster with the thumb lever to be very easy to operate while keeping the gun secure. If you want, they also offer that in the roto system that allows you to sent your cant angle to what does best for you. I am with you in not liking the "XD Gear".

Old Guy
  13. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

14. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

15. Orygun

Orygun New Member

I've had real good luck with these folks.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm
    Quality work at fair prices. I've had one for almost 10 years now (carried daily) and just bought another recently for my new daily carry gun.
  16. fyimo

fyimo New Member

There are two Don Hume Holsters I really like and they are the 721 open top and the JIT slide which really holds the gun high up and close. :D
  17. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Well, i got myself a blackhawk serpa. Absolutely love it and there's so much adjustability. It's not much to look at though and for that reason i'm still on the market for a "showy" leather open-carry rig. I like having options. You folks have given me plenty to consider.