HOLY CRAP!!! IT REALLY DOESNT TAKE MUCH!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Jan 26, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    What a night... Just got done casting my first couple hundred bullets for my .45-70 with my new 500 gr. mold. The casting process went perfect and 98% of the bullets were perfect right from the mold. As usual, I quench my bullets right out of the mold in a bucket of cold water with a towel in it. done it a million times with 0 ill effects. This time was different, I was sorting the cold bullets while a new pot of lead was coming up to temp and tossing the rejects into the sprue box. Well, I ran accross one that had a small void on the front driving band, it looked like a pinhole in the side of the bullet so I tossed it in the reject pile to be re-melted. I sorted the rest and ended up with about 6 out of 100 or so bullets that didnt meet my standards. Included in the 6 was the one with the small pinhole. well I tossed them in the pot, which was right at 675 degrees and got a rather silvery mess on my workbench. I mean there couldnt have been a 1/8 ml of water in that hole and it was enough to spew lead all over my bench top. What a mess, Thank god I didnt get burned....:eek:

mikld, NJBourne23 and rawright54 like this.
  2. madmantrapper

madmantrapper New Member

Water at 675 is violent, same as in wax at 340.

3. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Golden, Colorado
    Hmmmmmmm, how did I know by reading the first few lines of your post, what you were about to say. :rolleyes: Oh how glad I am that you did not get hurt by the molten lead!!!!! :eek: Wheewwww!! (Wiping my forehead)

I learned in high school metal shop, what happens when molten ANYTHING comes in contact w/ either water (moisture) or a cold mold.

BOOM!!!!!

Good post for beginner casters JLA! ;) (Ducking from the flying sprue box! :p :D)

SR

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Michigan
    That sounds fun but i am a bit of an idiot when it comes to in depth projects. I think i will stick to buying bullets. That sound like something i would do.

5. army mp

army mp Member

Jan 30, 2009
    western Pa,
    Another example of what not to do. I was water dropping 45s out of my 4 banger Lyman mold. First casting. I was holding the mold to close to the water bucket. And the water splashed. It must have got a drop in the mold. Next pour. Looked like a volcano coming out the sprue cutter. When they say molten lead and water don’t mix . they aren’t kidding.

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    Next time, put your rejects into a cold pot and bring it up to heat. Any water on the bullets will evaporate long before the lead turns molten.

rawright54 likes this.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    Having spent a little time around a steel foundry, I can tell ya that it could have been much worse. Glad to hear that you're ok. Here's a little snipet on molten metal and water mixing from one of the foundry manuf sites.

http://www.foundrymag.com/archives/feature/84647/molten_metal_splash_and_furnace_refractory_safety

a video from the foundry that I worked at in Wa, caused by improper/damaged gas coupling. The tanker truck that was filling the main tanks leaked at the coupling and subsequently caught fire and exploded. The driver died a few weeks later, a few others hurt and the foundry was down for a couple months.

http://www.eq2world.ru/view.php?vid...a&title=Altlas+Foundry+Explosion+-+Tacoma,+WA

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    That ones exactly my goal SR, besides a good laugh of it, I really hope new guys will take some good from this and not get hurt themselves. I know if this would have happened to me the first try I would have boxed it back up and never touched it again...;)

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    Simple solution to a simple problem. I like it, thanks alpo...

ms6852 likes this.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    por nada

11. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Dec 3, 2005
    In the 1950's my dad & his co-worker were throwing chemicals into a big molten ladle of steel at our local(now closed & gone) Geneva steel USS plant. A piece of ice fell from the window overhead & the crane operator yelled a warning so the two guys ran from the pot but they were hit in the back by the molten steel as they ran. The co-worker had tucked his pants into his cowboy boots & his boot filled with steel. Before they could get his boot off he had nothing but his heel bone left.

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    I have a couple of small scars on my face from melting a pot of lead several years ago. While I was standing over the lead, a drop of sweat fell into the pot and caused what I can only describe as a violent "explosion". Lead went everywhere, I am lucky that I was only hit twice. I learned to respect the molten lead that day.

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    yeah, I certainly allow a little more distance between me and the pot when putting ANYTHING in there. I realized immediately that it could have been MUUUUUCH worse than it was. Thankfully All that got hit was the pot itself and the towel I keep spread out under it to keep lead from building up on the benchtop.

14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ohio
    I think that I will continue to allow Matt Dardas to make all of my lead bullets for me. His are always perfect and he takes all of the risks. I just head to the basment and avoid watching HGTV, Bravo, and the rest of the Missus' crap.

15. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Berkley, Michigan
    I was going to cast some bullets for a friend once when in between jobs for some money.(Nice friend.) I set up the his pot outside on a sunny cloudless day not wanting the lead fumes in my apartment and went inside to wait for it to heat up and remelt the lead that was still in it. A rouge rain cloud came through and decided that over the lead pot was a good place to dump its self. It took me a week to scrape all the lead from the apartment wall and pavement.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    woolleyworm, joe45c and rawright54 like this.