Home built 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 1:12:29 pm)
    Reply Home Built 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thinking about building a 1911 from parts. Need to pick all of your brains on type of frame, slide, trigger group, sights,barrel etc... I would like to put together a sweet shooter maybe even a longslide . Can you guys help me create this frankenstien?

Thanks,
    Reed

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 2:40:49 pm)
    Reply Re: Home Built 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reed, This could be a fun project and I intend to do at least one myself!! But it can be more expensive to build your own than it is to buy a Kimber Custom ($584+sh+ffl) or Custom Target ($670+sh+ffl).

You have to decide what is the purpose of the buildup? Do you want to use the project to learn custom fitting? Then spending the extra money can be rewarding. I like to build things to have the satisfaction of knowing I did it and it is a fine example of whatever it is. Do it right or not at all.

If you buy a $300 mil spec pistol as your base, you will spend another $250-300 in custom parts to have a match quality pistol. Then add the cost of gunsmith services to fit the parts if you can't or don't want to do it all yourself. I just spent $450 in parts and gunsmith fees to custom build a Gold Cup Series 70 NM. It is a fine shooter and better than a Kimber Custom Target, but I have more $ tied up in it than a Kimber. See my Gold Cup topic in this forum for some of the parts I used. pub49.ezboard.com/fthefirearmsforumfrm15.showMessage?topicID=54.topic

Have fun and let us know how it is going and how we can help!

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 3:54:22 pm)
    reed,

I'm in the same boat as you...just starting out building my first 1911 pistol. I have fitted a few new parts (barrel bushings, grip/thumb safeties, trigger, msh) on a couple inexpensive 1911's, up to this time, just to get my feet wet. I feel this has been worthwhile. Easy to find out if you really like doing this stuff, and If you screw up, not a real disaster.

I'm building on a para-ordnance gunsmith kit frame that I bought on an internet auction (will give 16+1 round capacity when finished). Just placed the first order for parts to fill the frame on Friday. Haven't picked out a slide yet, but I'm also leaning toward a 7" amt stainless slide assy. I like their factory sights, too.

Here's a couple observations to date (please note I'm no expert).

In addition to the cost of parts, I'm also having to buy special tools, jigs (e.g., jig for frame mods for beavertail grip safety), and I've invested in Kuhnhausen's 1911 manuals (2 vols. at $30 ea; have been highly recommended). So I'm finding out real quick the final cost will be higher than a high-end production gun (kimber or para ltd), as tucker pointed out. Not necessarily bad, more like the cost of going to school.

I'm getting most parts from brownells.com, good selection, delivery, cust service).

I have been cruising the internet gun forums for some months...(1911forum.com, pistolsmith.com). Lots of pro gunsmiths, sharing their knowledge, and posting pictures of their latest works (if you want to see how its done right!)
    Doing keyword archive searches on these forums is most helpful. Bookmarking specific posts as I go along.

I really can't give you expert advice on frame selection, but caspian keeps getting good words about their products.

Here's some of the parts I specified:

Ed Brown beavertail (and jig)
    Cylinder & slide tactical hammer group (hammer, sear, disc., leaf spring, mainspring)
    Ed brown msh/maxiwell
    1911 pin kit

I'm getting small parts in stainless, may either polish them, or send them to be hardchromed with the carbon steel frame, when the fitting is complete.

I'm stoked to get started, hope to do as much as I can myself. But if I get in a real bind, a good gunsmith in the next town has been agreeable to help with advice, or actually do the work if its too hard (hope it doesn't come to that).

I'll be posting here, progress and questions. Let's compare notes!

Hope this helps!

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 4:44:33 pm)
    I been looking at this for a few months for a place to start.

www.dpmsinc.com

Thanks, it looks like alot of homework, but then again isn't that the fun?
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 6:37:39 pm)
    This is a fun thing to do and almost the only way to get
    something a little different in features or caliber..
    There really isn't much out there but 45ACP and if you would
    like something else this is the way to go...

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 9:26:07 pm)
    Hey, Black gun already has a home job called frankenstien! Ask him about it.

SHOOTER22

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/01 8:30:53 am)
    Frankenstein was a fun but expensive lesson. aluminum alloy (never again) Essex frame,(The next will be a Wilson frame), it's only a couple of hundred $$$ more ) colt slide, Meggar adjustable rear sights,(the next will be Bo-Mar) Ed Brown barrell,barell pin and match bushing, Wilson internal working parts,Wilson extended SS bevertail grip safety, bullet proof, firing pin,, firing pin stop, extractor, match grade trigger and hammer, SS fun length recoil spring guide. throw in a few Colt pins, misc parts and springs. I will be adding A wilson Spring kit soon. $800.00 later, including gunsmith labor for fitting and tuning parts. This doesn't include a finish, which I haven't had done yet, should run around $200.00. Wa La! "Frankensterin" Could have bought a Gold Cup cheaper, and I'm still not through or completely happy as the project isn't finished. As I place this post, I just added a Wilson Shock buffer and was told in another post to check the recoil spring and add a Wolf 18 to 20 pound spring, which I'm looking for now. This custom built gun will shoot X rings all day long at 25 yards. But I'm in the process of building another just for the fun of it, She will be called "Bride of Frankensteine"[
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 7/15/01 11:22:47 am

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/01 12:42:12 pm)
    Beautiful piece of work Blackgun!!!! I like the name on the slide. I think I'll check into that for one of mine.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/01 3:02:26 pm)
    Hey Bro! Someday Frankensteine may belong to you, hehehehehehehehehe! If you elect to have one or several of your guns engraved, check with your local trophy shop, they should have a jig for their engraver. I think I paid $15.00 for 4 engravings and they did it while I waited.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/01 11:49:12 pm)
    Im in with Fl, Very nice . I checked out that Pistolsmith site and some other post that ya'll have written. I got alot of brainstormin to do befor I jump. I'll just keep watching this forum. Thanks again.
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....