The Firearms Forum banner

Home defence with a Taurus Judge

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  reynolds357 
#1 ·
Wich one of you would not feel better protected in your home with a Taurus Judge 6.5 inch barrel with five 000buck shot rounds. It seems like a no brainer to me. For a close incounter with a bad guy in my home 000buck will take him out with no problem. I have shot my judge at 45 feet and held a 4 inch pattern. How can that not be the way to go?

See less See more
#2 ·
Does that one shoot 3" shells? Is a shot of a given size the same regardless of gauge? How many shot in a .410 000 Buck?

#4 ·
The Judge is fine, but I would rather have a 21 shot 9mm anyday. The penetration of .410 buckshot is, to put it politely, nothing to brag about.
My go to gun for home defense is my Benelli shotgun with 9 rounds staggered between #4 buck and sabot slugs. Right beside it sits my ar-15. Right beside it is my CZ SP-01.

#7 · (Edited)
I never knock a persons choice of gun for any purpose. However for me if a handgun is involved for self defense issues I would choose different platform. Either a 1911, Glock or Hi-power. But that is my choice and to each their own.

Regardless of what anyone chooses I hope that they are never in the situation that the need to deploy the weapon arises.

(added) I keep a 1911 on the night stand and the go to is on the wall next to the bed ... a 12g NFA Pardner pump shotgun loaded with 000 buck. The 1911 is there in case I can't get to the shotgun quick enough. But my pit-bull almost guarantees I will have time to deploy the big gun.

#8 ·
With an all steel design and a 3-4" barrel in single or double actions with the double action preferred. How could you not like this? But, at this time I don't think that this weapon has been manufactured yet.

On the single action does the hammer rotate the cylinder or is that manual for each shot?

#9 ·
what brand ammo has 4 OOO in it ? here i get 3.. 4 in OO yeah ..
Winchester Remington and federal have OOO buck loads. Centurion makes a 3" four pellet load with .400" balls.

I have found the 3" PDX1 to be tops for 410 defensive ammo. Shot some sheet metal this weekend and not a single buckshot load penetrated. All 4 discs do. The four disc load also patterned tighter than the three disc load. It's good stuff....

#10 ·
There is an excellent article in the Dec 2011/Jan 2012 issue of the "SHOOTING TIMES" magazine. It's written by Layne Simpson and starts on pg 34 - titled ".410 FOR DEFENSE".
He compares various loads shot from a 2.5" Judge, 18.5" Mossberg and a 26" Winchester for patterning and penetration.

He does mention that Federal offers three "big bore" loads for SD handgun use - a 3" with 5 copper-plated 000 buck, a 3" with 9 #4 Buck and a 2 1/2" with 4 000 buck.
He also tests the Remington offerings and the Winchester PDX1.

Anybody with questions about the use of .410 for home defense (we're talking very short distances here) should read this article, it's very informative.

BTW - he reachs a favorable conclusion when using the "big bore" buckshot loads.

#11 ·
With an all steel design and a 3-4" barrel in single or double actions with the double action preferred. How could you not like this? But, at this time I don't think that this weapon has been manufactured yet.

On the single action does the hammer rotate the cylinder or is that manual for each shot?
the Judge is a double action and the single action rotates the cylinder when you cock the hammer. all single actions do this.

me I perfer #8 shot for the first shot..blinds them and disorients them. followed by the 45lc shots. they cant hit what they cant see! and as slow as i am i need all the seconds I can get!:D

#12 ·
Wich one of you would not feel better protected in your home with a Taurus Judge 6.5 inch barrel with five 000buck shot rounds. It seems like a no brainer to me. For a close incounter with a bad guy in my home 000buck will take him out with no problem. I have shot my judge at 45 feet and held a 4 inch pattern. How can that not be the way to go?
Either one would do the job, but the Taurus Judge will always come in first! Loaded with the 000Buck, and in a fast double action revolver, is all you need. The single action revolver will work, it's been around for a long time, and that proves it's usefullness. The double action is just faster!

#13 ·
the Judge is a double action and the single action rotates the cylinder when you cock the hammer. all single actions do this.

me I perfer #8 shot for the first shot..blinds them and disorients them. followed by the 45lc shots. they cant hit what they cant see! and as slow as i am i need all the seconds I can get!:D
Be very careful with that. Every place I have ever lived it was illegal, as in it's a criminal act to use lethal force to maim a person for any reason.

Use a very bright flashlight to blind and disorient. Some lights are so bright it physically hurts the eyes.....

#14 ·
Whos Maiming?? I intend to Kill the @#*&!## just as soon as i can draw a bead on his butt again!! he should not have broke into my house!! and besides the muzzle flash from the .410 is wayyy better than a flashlight and I dont have to grope in the darkness to find it!

and course wifey dear will be empting her 357 into him as well..since shes a woman..they get hystirical you know and the "reflex" action usually takes over and just naturally emptys the gun......so blinding him will prevent him from seeing and counting the rest of the muzzle flashes as he dies.....Mercy blinding you see!

#15 · (Edited)
Be very careful with that. Every place I have ever lived it was illegal, as in it's a criminal act to use lethal force to maim a person for any reason.

Use a very bright flashlight to blind and disorient. Some lights are so bright it physically hurts the eyes.....
I think you have misunderstood the law in "every place you have ever lived."
In any State in the Union, when deadly force is justified, all force less than lethal is also justified. If someone is charging me with a knife, I can shoot him in the head or the foot. Of course it would take a complete moron to do the latter, but it would be perfectly justified by law.

#16 ·
Whos Maiming?? I intend to Kill the @#*&!## just as soon as i can draw a bead on his butt again!! he should not have broke into my house!! and besides the muzzle flash from the .410 is wayyy better than a flashlight and I dont have to grope in the darkness to find it!

and course wifey dear will be empting her 357 into him as well..since shes a woman..they get hystirical you know and the "reflex" action usually takes over and just naturally emptys the gun......so blinding him will prevent him from seeing and counting the rest of the muzzle flashes as he dies.....Mercy blinding you see!
I agree. Give me a firearm over a flash light anyday. I carry one of those $400 dollar flashlights on duty that is supposed to blind and disorient people. It don't do jack. All they were was a huge waste of department money. Its bright, but not blinding and disorienting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.