Home defense AR: Kept w/ round in chamber?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by velocity101, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I have a gun that I keep on the night stand, with a full mag. I do not keep a round in the chamber for extra safety, it is way to easy to chamber a round, and I'm good to go.

i don't have any kids, but I do have grand children that come over once in a blue moon. On those occasions the guns are unloaded and put in the safe.
  2. oldcrustytanker

oldcrustytanker New Member

I keep my .40 S&W with a loaded clip not one in the pipe bedside and my wife also keeps her .380 auto on her side of the bed as well both loaded but not chambered.
  3. oldcrustytanker

oldcrustytanker New Member

Oh, and in my opinion a 12 gauge with 3inch OO buckshot can't be beat for home invasion protection.
  4. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

The sound of racking a gun will make most prowlers piss their pants and run. If it doesn't, the next sound will be a round going "down range". I love doleing out that Oh-**** moment. :rolleyes:
  5. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

if its not loaded and ready to roll... might as well have a rock..
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I sprinkle guns around my house like fairy dust.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Loaded and full mag,, I dont have children around (grown and moved away) but when they where around, safety first. With kids around, guns are either unloaded or locked up.
    But as of now, freakin' locked and loaded and ready for hell's furry(spelling)!:D
    (wouldnt wanna be me, breaking in my house!) :AR15firing: :lmao2:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Questions & My Old 2 Cents
    If we are talking 223 Caliber ARs : That is a lot of penatration within sheetrock wood and brick or normal building products.
    I hope your nearest neighbor is at least 300 yds from your house .
    My preference to handle a Outside Door or Window Situation is 10 Rounds of 12 Gauge 000 Buck.
    Within the House, 38s mostly with some scattered 9mm stuff
    Outside the House, 45ACP AR Carbine.( My nearest neighbor is 250 Yds backed up by
    2 Mile Deep Woods.
    I do not pretend to know it all, but I been around a while.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I live out in the country and not many neighbors close by. The AR is equipped with 700Lum. light and laser. I'd like to think my first shot or so (should it ever come to that) would work it's majic so to speak.
  10. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

11. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

And that from a rifel like this one which I use for HD and yes have a round in the chamber.
    [​IMG]
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26

The 55 grain HP .223 has less penetration than any of the other ammunition tested. Based on the results of this testing, there appears to be no basis for concern regarding the over penetration of the .223 [HP] round. In fact, it seems even safer in this regard than .40 S&W handgun ammunition.

The hollow point cavity in the .40S&W round filled with material when shot through the wall. This caused [these bullets] to fail to expand when they entered the gelatin. As a result, they penetrated 8.5" farther than when shot directly into the gelatin.

When the .223 [HP] was shot through he wall it began to fragment and as a result penetrated the gelatin only 5.5".

Because the .223 [HP] begins to break up on impact, it has less potential for damage or injury than the 12 ga. in the event of a ricochet. The .223 [HP] is obviously safer in an urban environment than the 12 ga. with slugs or buckshot.
  13. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  14. FreeWill

FreeWill Former Guest

While some people question the 12" penetration limit, it is not subject to discussion in this article. The FBI is deemed to be more knowledgeable than most, and it is backed up my Dr. Martin Fackler and others who have spent their life discussing the subject. Duncan McPherson, in his book "Bullet Penetration: Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation Resulting from Wound Trauma" actually argues that 15" is not an unrealistic requirement a bullet should obtain. He does point out, however, that 11.5" of penetration shouldn't completely disqualify a bullet from being acceptable either. While 12" should be a minimum requirement, 18" is the approximate maximum desired penetration depth. Beyond that, and the bullet is likely to exit the intended target and retain enough energy to cause others harm if a person should be in the line of fire. Obviously you should never take the shot if you're not sure of what's beyond your target and rely on your ammunition to do your job of being prudent.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
  15. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

now if you all with allow it i will bring up another subject of using an AR for home defense i havent read yet and one i have a problem with. using an "M-16 machine gun" for home defense. cause thats what your "event" will look like in the paper the morning after.

now i understand the sentiment "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and thats not what this is about. what it is about is paying 2k for a beautiful AR that you have put all your personal customizations on, only to have it taken away and never seen again, or being forced to sell it after you have done what had to be done. now where is the practicality in that i ask.

now your situation might be different, you may know the local law enforcement, your officers or the law are lenient on situations as such in your area. chances are 95% of us here live in the actual CONUS and have to deal with the anti-2a floods in the populated areas and in the country. even here in my place in southeast texas i have had tales of men sans their rifle because they used it for protection, miles and miles and miles outside of Houston.

that is why i will only use a pistol or my shotgun for home defense as long as i stay here in my apt of course, but even when i have a home with substantial amount of land i will not use my rifle because i dont need cops jacking my expensive toy for "evidence" while a dude with a ski mask and crowbar is laying facedown infront of my bedroom door. ...plus my preference is for AK's so if the cops ever find that ill probably be thrown down on my face and cuffed cause im a man who fancies "evil criminal weapons."