The Firearms Forum banner

Home Defense Information Mining

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Marlin 
#1 ·
Greetings,

In the early Spring months of 2006 I will have the funds available to purchase a new firearm for home defense purposes.

I have begun my research and am seriously considering one of the following revolvers:

*Ruger GP100
*Ruger SP101
*Smith & Wesson Model 10
*Taurus 65B4 or 65SS4

In addition I have considered the following semi-autos:

*Glock 17
*CZ 75 Compact .40

I have the following considerations in addition to the familiar home defense weapon considerations:

*I would like to reload to save money
*My chubby hands are large, but picky
*I prefer fixed sights on a revolver
*I prefer a semi-auto that can be converted to .22 rimfire for practice
*My wife must be able to handle the gun
*The weapons will be stored in a pistol safe even at night (kids)

I have considered getting two guns, one each for my wife and I. I prefer the feel of a semi-auto in my hand (assuming the backstrap is not too thick) and my wife prefers a wheelgun and is timid around a semi-auto.

I keep going back and forth. This gun is good for this reason and that one is good for another...it's enough to drive me nuts and I still have several months of considering.

Bottom line, I welcome any and all suggestions, comments, etc. Guns I should add to the list. Guns I should remove. Accessories I should consider. Specific training that would be helpful (I'm not new to firearms, but have never had any "official" training). Anything that might help. Resources I should check out (other websites, forums, magazines, books, etc.) This is your chance to impress someone with everything you know ;)

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you have many good choices listed, and it sounds like you have been studying one of the most important parts of using a handgun - ie, how does it fit in you hand.

Now, lots of folks are going to jump in with specific make model and calibre recommendations - I'm just going to say stick with a name brand gun in a calibre .38SPL or larger and you'll be alright.

I have noticed that you are sticking with handguns specifically and you mentioned training - all good stuff. However, for strictly home defense, you might consider a shotgun. If you are not planning on carrying the gun outside for "daily use" it is real hard to beat a plain jane pump action shot gun for home defense. (If the wife is recoil skittish, look for a 20Ga)

#3 ·
Also, let me offer you a piece of advice as the father of four wonderful, smart, extremely curious daughters:

You cannot kid-proof your gun. Period. It's an impossibility. You can, however, gun-proof your kid. How? Education and training. It takes a commitment to sit down, demystify the gun and teach them how to enjoy owning a gun while being safe about it. First, learn the rules of safety yourself. Next, teach it to the kids. Be anal-retentive about safety. If you're not willing do do that, then don't even bother getting a gun.

I've been raised with guns since I was very young. I've been around people who love to shoot as long as I can remember. The gun culture? I was raised in it. And it's a culture of safety and responsibility. You make sure you do things in a certain way every time when you're handling a gun because that's how you avoid accidents. Might seem silly, at first, but you'll come to see it as natural, just the way other hobbies have "habits" and "traditions" that seem natural.

Even if you don't want to be an "enthusiast" as I am, it's the safest way to make sure they have plenty of birthdays to come. Doesn't take much time, just a bit of "here's the rules of having fun with guns" type of sessions. Shoot, my kids don't even point *toy* guns at another person. Same way I was taught.

Now, I'll echo smashem's recommendation for a shotgun. It's a good close-range weapon for the house that doesn't take a lot of training and can be used effectively by just about anyone. Mossberg and Remington make some excellent choices, as does Winchester. (As a matter of fact, Gun Tests magazine recommends the Winchester Youth 20ga as an excellent choice for home defense for reliability, ease of use and other features.)

#5 · (Edited)
It's a shame you're waiting until next Spring....
I like my Ruger SP101 (spurless-for concealed carry too) and I also have a Mossberg Bantam Youth Pump 20ga for protecting my "castle". It's got a shorter barrel and it's light. Sounds like you're doing your homework!

Check out "Defensive Use of Firearms" by Stephen Wenger.

#6 ·
.45, John, and Slimslam all have offered excellent advice, with which I concur.
Before I buy a weapon, I need to define it's purpose, and role, in my life; as a defensive, fixed location, weapon, nothing speaks with the authority of a 12 gauge pump shotgun; personal choice would be an Ithaca M-37!
A shotgun offers the user not only simple operation, and reliability, coupled with great stopping power, but the psychological advantage of superiority of firepower, as well; In a shortened, conventional stocked rendering, it also may serve as an 'impact' weapon, with excellent retention characteristics, since you have two hands on it!
Again, to purpose; no need to conceal, as it is within my home, but a need to control penetration, since me and mine may be in different rooms, when it is employed; cheap, but reliable, 'dove and quail' i.e. # 7 1/2 shot, loads, will make it a 'show stopper' and never penetrate a wall, after impacting the target!
Clint Eastwood, in the 'Dirty Harry' movies, makes a point of 'the most powerful hand gun in the world', a valid point, to be sure. But, excepting him, and Elmer Keith, would you rather face an armed adversary with a 'compromise' (concealable) weapon, of limited power, by design, or one who bore the true maximum in firepower, 'capable of blowing your backside clean off' at ranges a pistol would only be a paperweight, at?
Mark my choice a smooth bore!

#8 ·
I recomend a 12 gauge for the 2 simple facts they are good for heat of the moment situations when you can get a precise aim. reason number 2 kids are generally intimidated by a gun with a 18.5in bbl but like the other guy said their is nothing you can do to lessen a kids curiosity

#9 ·
I've replied to several posts such as this with my simpleton theory.........

Don't get swept up in the caliber debates.

Handle as many firearms as you can gain access to, and consider those that "feel good" in your hand(s). If it's not comfortable to you (or your wife) you'll not become proficient with it. The home defense firearm that I use won't suit some, and some will concur...... but most importantly, it suits me, and my environment, and I'm proficient with it.

Once you decide on a firearm, practice with it until you're satisfied with your proficiency, and the firearms' dependability.

I started with my grandkids firearms education by buying a broken BB pistol at a garage sale for $0.75. I left it laying around until one of the kids asked about it. Short discussions led to more discussion, and eventually range trips for two of the kids. The third one isn't remotely interested in firearms, but the two 10 yr olds and the 4 year old won't enter my gun room unless I'm with them. Toys that end up in that room are left there until I get home. They won't even ask grandma to go get it for 'em.

Half the fun is in "trying on" all those possible choices. :D

#10 ·
All these comments are excellent, Arrow.:)

I have been shooting since about age 4½, under the supervision of my father and one uncle back in the Late thirties and then through the WWII years. I raised five children, three of which are avid shooters and hunters. All of them were given gun safety dos and don'ts from the before they could talk or walk. None of them ever either touched or even talked about using a gun in any way but plinking, hunting or just plain target shooting. Each was separately interested in various ways so your techniques, while generally the same and continuous, were tailored for each individual and their interests.

The older two are also rabid gun enthusiasts and have successfully raised to marriage and having their own families all of their younguns. They, too, were arround guns from the time they could barely walk and talk. You just have to be sure that talking about guns is as frequent and as natural as talking about the time of day or the weather.

We have shotguns, rifles, pistols and wheelguns. Each of us has our favorite carry gun, which fits our hands and with which we are proficient, although SoMo continues to outshoot me!!!!!:) I can't emphasize too much the suggestion to try as many as you can and be sure to find one that fits the shooter comfortably. The better suggestion, if you are able, would be to have a personal gun for each, you and your wife, that fits that criteria.

Didn't mean to stay on the barrel so long. Will step down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck in you search and welcome to home protection, self-protection and to a great hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.