home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Double Deuce, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Looking at this for my home defense Shotgun

590A1 Adjustable 9 shot

I want the adjustable 9 shot with ghost ring sights you have to scroll through a few models before you get to it. I like the adjustable stocks because my wife would be able to use it. Any thoughts on if this is a good choice or should I go with something else?
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I cant see any reason why not. Looks to me as good a weapon for home defence as your going to get. I am especially keen on ghost ring sights on a defensive/ offensive shotgun.

Dont forget if you buy new, get to a range and give it a good run in, at least 100 rounds to make sure everything works as advertised.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  3. The Mossberg is a very well-designed and reliable shotgun. I keep a Model 500 close at hand in the bedroom. For close range self-defense, it doesn't get much better than a 12 gauge, loaded with buckshot, and full cylinder barrel. :D
  4. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

The place I am buying it from has a range and you get a free month when buying a gun. I will try it out there and do alot of jack rabbit hunting to get a feel for it. I really like the ghost ring sights as well.
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

i have a mossy 500 persueder and like it very much. in many instances, a good home defense shotgun will run you alot less than a good handgun. buckshot or birdshot will be devistating at across the room distances. good choice.
  6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    So, since we're famous for thread drifts here at TFF, here is a curious and M500 related story from a few days ago:

Last week I stopped into a local gun shop to kill some time by browsing their wares. I was looking over a Remington 700 when I noticed an older gentleman in shorts, Hawaiian shirt and sandals looking over the shotgun rack. He had long grey hair in a pony tail, looked rather rough in a very hippy-ish sort of way, and caught my discrete attention. I watched out of the corner of my eye and listened as the store clerk showed him various short barreled shotguns.

He looked a Mossberg M590 over and asked, "Is this the same one as the military uses?" The clerk said it was.

Then he asked to see an AR and wanted to know if it was the same as the M16. The clerk told him that it was, other than that one was semi-auto instead of full-auto. I could see his eyes go very far away and he said "I haven't held one since I was in The Nam."

Then he sobered up, handed the AR back and asked how many M590's the store had. Two, the clerk told him. Pulling out a big wad of green bills he said, "I'll take them both." The surprised look on the store clerk's face was priceless.

I found the whole episode rather amusing. Guess that Peace, Love, Dope has turned into Peace, Love and Preparedness.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i wouldnt buy the weapon that is in question double duece.

yes it is an excellent gun, but you could not manipulate the safety switch without completely changing your hand grip. that little overlooked fact might cost you your life if you had to use the gun in a hurry. i wouldnt have a mossberg that didnt have a standard stock for this reason,
    just my opinion
    ~john
  8. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I will check that out thanks for the tip.
  9. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

For the price of that shotty, you can get a Springfield Armory GI Model or a Mil-Spec 1911. If I had a choice between a .45 or a shotgun for home defense, I would take the .45 every time.

The 1911 is concealable.

Ammo is cheaper.

You will be able to shoot more than twice as many rounds out of the 1911 in the same amount of time it would take to empty the magazine of the pump shotgun.

Years from now the handgun will be worth more money than the shotgun.

You can keep the 1911 in your nightstand drawer.

A handgun is superior to a shotgun in a CQC situation. Faster target acquisition, and can be used in tighter quarters.

Practice with the 1911 is more enjoyable and more comfortable.
  10. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I just bought a Springfield Compact XD in the .45 ACP, a shotgun will be next followed by a assault rifle in a year or 2. I am taking the CC class at the end of the summer as well. Trying to cover all my bases. I thought the handgun should be my first buy as well. I really like the 1911 models but went with something that I could afford and buy more quickly.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  11. johnlives4christ

pardon, but 45 ammo is 20.oo for 50 while shotgun shells are oh 23 for 100.oo at walmartz
  12. DKA

DKA New Member

Shotgun is very good choice, while you can shoot faster with a semi-auto 45, there is only one projectile coming out of the barrel at a time. If someone is breaking down your door, you cannot tell if there is 1, 2, or 4. My Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 18 1/2" barrel, loaded with 00 Buckshot will put 9 projectiles out at one time. If it is HD, don't want it concealed, want it pointed directly at the invader or invaders, whichever. Give me my 870 everytime at home, my handgun outside.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

No reason to fight, guys -
    Get both!

Seriously, I feel the intimidation factor of a 12 bore outweights the maneuverability factor of the .45.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would go for the 590A1 SPX. The bayonet is almost usless, but you get the same gun without the pistol grip.
  15. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

If I can offer a different opinion on that 590.

Everything from the trigger back on that shotgun is just there to lure a certain kind of buyer. It's like chrome on a truck or stripes on a car. It looks but has no function.

The adjustable stock is a good idea for mass issue of a weapon to many people of different sizes. It's nice to let it out one notch when your body armor is off. For a personally owned weapon it makes less sense than getting a standard stock and fitting to the firer. Call it more simple.

A pistol grip has pros and cons. It is better for recoil management IF the firer actually applies proper technique. It is said that it helps with pointing but I've never seen proof. Mostly, that pistol grip just gets in the way. On a Mossberg it just gets your digits further from the safety and slide release. The grip gets in the way during speed reloads too.

Giving a 12 ga to the wife. I won't give a 12 ga to mine because a shotgun is a specialty weapon, not an amateurs weapon. Indoors it is easy to miss with, slow to recover from, and the blast makes you dizzy. Reduced Recoil buckshot was the best thing invented for shotguns, ignoring M1030's. :D

I'd giver her a Youth Model 20 ga pump maybe. A hammerless doube might be better. The intruder won't know the difference long enough to object.:)
  16. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Are you saying that shotgun shells are $23 per 100 shells? For what... low power skeet rounds? Certainly not viable self-defense rounds.

This is the second time you have corrected me. The first time I was apologetic. I tried to be humble, admitting that I may have made a mistake and giving you the benefit of the doubt. This time I will not apologize, but I will remain reticent. Perhaps next time you should simply add a comment saying that (X) shells are ($X) per (X) at (X) store instead of splitting hairs. :mad:
  17. johnlives4christ

i didnt mean for it to be taken the wrong way, didnt mean to correct, was just informing. yes it is for the all purpose rounds, and i do consider them viable self defence rounds. they aren't overly powerful, which gives modest recoil, that is tamable to give better follow up shots. bird shot is the better than buckshot for a home defence gun because it is far less likely to over penetrate the assailant, OR go through walls and kill loved ones or neighbors, and makes a hellova wound at any self defence distance.

i dont recall correcting you at another time, but i didnt mean to offend or to sound like i am giving correction, im not one to give correction, but i do like a good gun debate, and since i have a small knowledge of weapons and weapons tactics i normally speak up if i disagree
  18. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

cool. :)

[​IMG]
  19. johnlives4christ

:) powderhorn, by the way im john
  20. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

You look at some of those light factory loads and then you realize they aren't all that light as some are 3 1/4 dram. Take your 12 ga with one of the light skeet loads and shoot at a piece of plywood at 10 ft and then see if you change your mind about their effectiveness. At close in your house range I'd use #4's but 7 1/2 or 8's would still work. Further out then I'd go for the buck.