home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Double Deuce, Jun 3, 2009.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Recoil?
  2. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

What... the 3.5" turkey loads? Very much.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

00 buck is still legal here, no worries on that. GA is thankfully quite slow to legislate against guns. I was just thinking that it might be easier to deal with the courts later if you use a civilian "hunting" type gun and round.
    "I got my turkey gun and shot him" sounds better in court than "I got my riot gun."
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Maybe worthy of consideration would be what we called AAA. Its a little like a heavy birdshot, I think .2" each, I think, from memory buck is about .3 and runs eight to a cartridge.

AAA was recommended by some for defence at one time. I cant speak from experience, never tried the load myself, but might be worth looking in to, especially if buck is illegal for defence where you live.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have heard of government testing that said that BB's are the best thing for combat shotguns. i read it somewhere although i dont recall where. dont know if it is sound info or not.
  6. delta13soultaker

Yeah. Not pleasant really. Just trying to say hard kicking ammo in a self-defense weapon is not good....especially when the effectiveness of the shot size is in question.

Add a harder kicking round with projectiles that are still more likely to require follow-up shots to stop the threat. Make sense? Not to me.

Just saying what I got when I bounced that around my head.
  7. delta13soultaker

Nope. Plated 00 buckshot is the standard. A lot of money has been wasted to keep proving this.

A significant emerging threat in theater (RKG-3) has put the combat shotgun in a more primary role once again. This time because it is the fastest initial response from the turret of an M1159 to drop a johnny-moodge throwing an RKG-3. Many crews have removed crew-served weapons from some turrets just so a Mossberg can have the whole thing. Talk about ironic. I never believed in my career I'd be training people with a TTP that required a 12 Ga to replace their M240 or M2 on a tactical vehicle.

But no...plated 00 has not been surpassed by anywhere that could duplicate such supposed testing to confirm anything more effective.
  8. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Mossberg is my choice as well. Must say a full stock is a must though. A pistol grip only with no full stock is much less accuarte. I believe a shotgun should be aimed when possible.

For the recoil sensitve, a 20 guage is a good choice. 75% of the firepower of a 12 with 50% less recoil. Just my .02 worth.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my wife is very petite... small hands and such, she cannot rack the slide on most semi auto pistols, and has a hard time pulling the double action trigger most of the time. she also doesnt care for any recoil. im thinking i might get her to try a 410 pump. if she can handle it well, i'll buy her one and have 2 barrels, one so she can go clay shooting, and one for home defence. we'll see how our search for a gun for her turns out.
  10. Mouton

Mouton New Member

For home defense, we have an Ithica 20 gauge double with 3 Buck. Read an article on Box of Truth wherein author was surprised how effective the 20 gauge with buckshot was. Meanwhile, his advice: DO NOT USE birdshot.
  11. torre

torre New Member

For home defense hell yeah the 12 gauge short barrell is perfect. Just the sound alone of racking it will deter just about anyone. I have always enjoyed the 1300Defeder.
  12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Kind of like shooting a round of sporting clays from a 4x4 farm pickup... Improvise, adapt and overcome.
  13. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Mossbergs aren't my first choice, but they are good. One of my favorites:

[​IMG]