Home Defense Weapon of Choice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by heyabbott, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Thanks God everything was OK. I think the lessons learned have great value.
    Does your wife has decided to become a proefficient shooter?. I hope so, because she will have to back you up, as seen.
    Be safe Nitrox.
  2. BISHOP

BISHOP New Member

I personally think that a double barrel shotgun would be the best in terms of power. it honestly depends on the layout of your home. you dont want to use one with much penetrating power if your kid is in the room next to you. but if the walls of your house are really thick concrete then id go for the breakaway double barrel. if you have drywall then go for a 410 with birdshot
    (trust me it will still stop them)
  3. navyvet

navyvet New Member

Mossberg 500 Persuader, AR15.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Guys, we've worn this one out!
    Should you break in through my bedroom window, next to my bed, of course you will be shot, and repeatedly, with a .45 acp pistol, because it is closest to my heart, and hands.
    Pick any other point of entry, where I have to arise to find you, and and I will pick up a shotgun, at the bedroom door, on the way out to meet you, and shoot you with that.
    But, understand, as a former Special Forces Trooper, and, generally, a really nice person, I'd rather not go through all the bullsh** that follows a shooting, If I can avoid doing so!
    Every place, except South East Asia, in which I have ever lived, had a dog pound, by whatever name; I'm going on my third week, over the last 40 years, without a dog in my home, and it's kinda frustrating, both out of the lack of companionship, and lack of security.
    Most of my dogs have been substantial animals, primarily Dobermans, and give good account, where security is concerned; they almost put my needs on 'autopilot', with little to no liability, if well worked!
    I suggest, that, with a little preparation, and good judgement, that one can go to the pound, and for less than a hundred bucks, come home with a 'security system' better than anything built by man, with company, to boot!
    I am 15 days, +/-, from a new Red Heeler Puppy, out of a proven Bitch, who will again be my primary defense, upon maturity.
    To synopsise, a dog, or two, is a better answer, than most firearms: You get early warning, and deterrence, 24/7, whether you are home, or not.
    Please give this line of logic a bit of thought; dogs, not withstanding their 'maintainance' requirements, offer better hearing, night vision, and 'brand loyalty', than any other 'security product' I have seen, or used.
  5. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Get a dog.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Thank you.
    They are, on the whole, an easier breed to educate, than Homo Sapiens, hear better, bite better, move quicker, in the bargain; and, unlike humans, their love is unconditional.
    My 48 pound 'Red Heeler' (Australian Cattle Dog), Brandy, is quick and agile enough, at four years old, to catch a tennis ball, no matter how hard I throw it, before it hits the ground, or climb a ladder!
    She does not 'make friends', real quickly, but is tolerant of mine, within reason.
    Not, by any means, a reccomendation of breed; if you've not a lot of "Dog" experience, definitely NOT the breed to learn on!
    In my case, she is the finest companion one could ask for; she travels well, goes everywhere, even to work, often, with me, and wears a leash, twice a year, to the vet's.
    A former 'co-worker' recently moved to New Mexico, from here in Texas, and had to move a real big (21+ Hands) Saddle Horse, with an attitude, about getting into the trailer; he would 'crowd' you, to the wall of the trailer, or stall, hard enough to break bones, on more than one occasion, for the owner, and his wife.
    We loaded the horse, on a $100 bet, in 89 seconds, stall to trailer!
    I offer this in an attempt to display what a fine dog, well trained, can do; compared to a mean mannered, 1400 pound horse, a 250 pound man is little work, for a good dog, to 'take out of the picture'.
    I'm 5'10", and this little girl can and does jump over my head, or shoulder, in the yard; that's at least 'face high' for the first bite, on a basketball player, in my book.
    She, her predecessor, and her replacement, should I live so long, were and will be my 'first line of defense', as they give me the 'early warning' to back them up!
    Behind them, I'll be at 'high port', with an Ithaca 37, in 12 Gauge, filled with birdshot, and, perhaps, a pistol.
    If one is strong or stupid, enough to hurt the dog, his remains will be ugly.
    And, referencing my previous post, Brandy was a 'rescue' animal, from a family who told me she was 'completely unmanageable, totally out of control', when I called about her! Free, for the price of fuel, to pick her up!
    Betcha never got a working firearm, that cheap!
    I submit that as firearms go, for a house gun, a short, but legal, 12 gauge shotgun, is the choice of those with others, in the home, or nearby neighbors.
    For me, it's always been 'plan your work, then, work your plan'; my girls, growing up, were taught from the beginning, that if a dog wakes them they were to 'retreat' into the master bedroom, 'right now', and it is a plan that works.
    Only used once, since I got home, but worked like a fine swiss watch, then; feller 'kicked the door', the kids bailed, the dog was enroute, and the guy went down, real hard; she took most of his left cheek, with the first snap, and 'sat him out', until the posse arrived.
    He's still 'inside'.
    Face it, firearms require training, and practice. So do dogs. But the dogs retain it, and offer other benefits!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

I like a Remington 870 with 00 buck for the first two rounds with a slug round for the 3rd shot. The shotgun is backed up by a big bore semi-automatic pistol which is backed up by a sheath knife. that trio works pretty well.
  8. Navy CWO5

Navy CWO5 New Member

We all have our opinions but if you want to see pictures and measured information go to http://www.theboxotruth.com. Personally, I have a 45 to get me to a rifle with at least a 15 round magazine plus spares. The quick draws and jerking of a pump (I have no pumps in my house) when the adrenaline is flowing is just asking for misses.
  9. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

My obligatory 9mm pistol should do the trick. I have a S&W SW9VE Enhanced Sigma and about 4 clips. Even though it is a semi-automatic, the Sigma doesn't have a lot of extra buttons and levers to fumble with in the dark.

My second choice would be a double action only revolver and some speedloaders.

Between the dog, the alarm, and the anonymity of a house deep in a cookie-cutter suburb, I doubt that home defense will be a necessity. I think a reliable revolver or semi-automatic pistol should do the trick for most suburban folks.
  10. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

RIP Stash, you were born for the name CrUsTy
  11. big steve

big steve New Member

Well everyones opinions are good here. Heres my two cents. I wpould get a pistol like a 9mm or something cause its not huge and obviously easy to aim you dont want to be walking around a corner with a huge 12 gauge and knock over something you want something small easy to aim and powerful. Like I said if it were me I would go with a 9mm pistol or some sort of Glock cause they are very reliable and good.

Regards, Steve
  12. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Jokingly ...

[​IMG] After you get by my mote filled with Alligators and Paraná, I'll meet you on the draw bridge with a 1911, make my way to both a shotgun and AR15, and if all else fails get in my submarine and go into the mote myself and make my way to my secure lockroom. Somewhere in there is my plan.

Then I call for backup:

[​IMG] Never mind, I'll just use a .22 ;)
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009