Home defense, What to buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hoodooman21, Mar 6, 2009.

1. hoodooman21

hoodooman21 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have decided to buy a gun for home defense. We live in a house in a suburban neighborhood in GA. We're not sure if we should get a shotgun or an ar-15. I'm leaning towards the shotgun, but I'd like to have something that we can take to the range for practice. I have to plead ignorance; where would we be able to take a shotgun? Are there ranges that will let you fire a shotgun?

-Bobby
  2. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

For in house I would opt for the shotgun. That way, you will have no issues with overpenetration. there should be plenty of ranges allowing you to shoot a shot gun.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I agree with chem. A 12 guage pump should fit the bill. There are several 'Home Defense' models on the market by major manufactuers. Most outdoor ranges tolerate shotgun use, although you would want to ask to be certain. More 'iffy' are the indoor ranges, they might ask that you purchase 'new' cardboard backers when you leave to replace the ones used during your session.
  4. hoodooman21

hoodooman21 New Member

That's one main reason I've been leaning towards the shotgun. We have neighbors on either side of our house. After I posted the message I found an indoor shooting range that allows shotguns. I think that pretty much settles it. I like the ar-15 and might get one down the road, but for now we'll go with the shotgun.

-Bobby
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

hoodoo, this is just my $0.02 so you can take it for what its worth...but, like chem said i would go with a nice 20ga or 12ga. i would not want to have an AR for a house gun. again, like chem said, overpenitration is what you have to consider. sheetrock walls are gonna stop a 20ga or 12ga pellet a lot sooner than a .223 round. maybe a short barrel semi-auto..like a remington 11-87 sportsman?? again, its just my $0.02
  6. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

oh.....by the way... welcome to TFF!!:D hope you stick around for a while.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Welcome to TFF
    A pump shot gun nothing else sounds like the slide on a pump being racked and all crooks know that sound.
    What part of Ga. Check out the sticky topic about the Cuthbert Ga. gathering in April.
  8. I too would definitely go with the scatter gun, hoodoo. Either a 12 or a 20 would work well for home defense. Keep in mind too, that with a shotgun you have much more control over the ammo you use, ranging from light bird shot up to buck, depending on your circumstances. The AR is a fun weapon to shoot, but penetrates far too much for indoor home defense.
  9. islenos

islenos New Member

12ga use of a less then lethal round for the first shot followed up by buckshot.
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I start with #4 then 00 buck and keep going until I have all ten :)D) rounds loaded
  11. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

i stick with 3" #4 shot. i dont have any shots in my house that are longer than about 15 yards, and i will be less tempted to chase a perp out the door and down the road than if i had 000 buck.
  12. islenos

islenos New Member

I believe in a first shot being less then lethal due to the amount of friendly fire that goes on in the dead of night. Plus when use on bad guys prior to the kill shot, the courts will throw out any civil suit for wrongful death because "I tried not to kill him but he kept coming at me, I was afraid for my life"
  13. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My personal choice is a double barrel 20 gage coach gun, kept unloaded, with a shell loop sock on the stock. The shell loops hold both light target loads and buck shot that may quickly be loaded depending on the situation.
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I keep a fold-stock, loaded, 870 wingmaster under my side of the bed. The #4 shot makes nice holes at home-defense ranges, and the greater number of pellets is reassuring, as well. I might add that there are NO children in my home, a PRIME consideration as to the state of readiness of any weapon kept in the home, hoodooman.
  15. momo

momo Former Guest

My two cents: go with the shotgun, if somebody tries to rob your house you're going to see him fairly close up so a shotgun would be better than an AR-15.
  16. hoodooman21

hoodooman21 New Member

This brings me to my next set of considerations. We have a 10 year old son. Gun safety, storage, how to address having a weapon in the house, etc.... Figuring out which gun to get is the easier part.
  17. 94z07

94z07 New Member

For safety the best thing to do is to gun-proof the child. By that I mean teach him respect and how to use the gun as a tool. If you consider in our brief American history, children were asked to do and did do a variety of things that we would never consider in our modern lives. Children actually worked onboard warships as powder monkeys. Children would take part in hunts. I could go on... But the point is at age 10 your son can learn how to shoot safely. In addition to educating your son I would invest in two devices. One is a trigger lock. They are cheap and can be had at every gun store and most sporting goods stores that carry firearms or ammo. The second is a sheet metal locking gun cabinet. They can be had for as little as $100 and when lag bolted to the studs or foundation of your house can certainly protect your gun from smash and grab type thieves and from your family's children when you are entertaining for family functions. It is also a good place to keep your gun when you're on vacation.

So two parts 1 gun-proof your child and 2 child-proof your gun(s).
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  18. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

And PLEASE, if you are new to firearms, take a training class. Be sure your wife goes as well. Take your son if allowed!
  19. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Without a doubt.

+1 on that note.
  20. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

HOO DOO

I am sorry, YOU CANT HAVE A GUN. What gives you the right? Don't you know we can't have any of this nonsence gun owning people here anymore. For heavens sakes the Mexican's drug lords are causing havock in Mexico because you want a gun to protect yourself in America. Gees, aren't you worried about the murders of all those inocent drug runners in Mexico? What kind of person are you? You make me sick! Thinking about your family like that. :mad:

But if I hade to I guess I would pick a 10mm pistol. :D