Home-Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ShadowHunt, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

Alright fellas, I was at work today and this lady came up to me and we started talking, eventually we got onto the subject of people breaking into her garage and how she was so worried about it. I told her it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a defense weapon :rolleyes: She answered me with "I already told the police I may." Naturally I suggested a Mossberg 12 gauge....... you know, a gun that is reliable but wont break the bank either.
    The problem is that this is an older lady about 65 or so and I dont think she can withstand the kickback of a shotgun.

Im asking you guys about which gun do you think would best suit this lady and keep her safe but not broken?

--Derek
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Think she could handle a 20ga?
  3. durk

durk New Member

Maybe she could buy or barrow a big mean dog?
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mossberg make a pistol gripped persuader in .410 that is more than enough to stop a real big man.
  5. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

I also thought up the dog actually, but in return i got no response.
    I think I'll check her in on the dog again next time i see her.

Thanks fellas
  6. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I second the notion of a .410. It is more than effective to knock down a bad guy if ever needed to, not to mention the intimidation factor of a person confronting you with a shotgun can be in itself a very effective deterrent. I personally have confronted garage intruders with a .12 gauge in hand and it was almost amusing to watch the intruder try and backpedal and make excuses to why he was in my garage, soil himself, and then run. I myself am not a huge fan of the big mean dog idea, because big mean dogs who can be very friendly and loyal with the family can be somewhat unpredictable with friends of the family who the dog is not really familiar with, which could lead to some less than desireable situations. Although I do have family in Colorado Springs who have two bernese mountain dogs who are quite intimidating to look at, but the most danger they pose is to lick you to death and break some toes by laying on your feet. But the companionship of a good dog can be a rewarding thing in itself. I personally own a dachshund (hardly a guard dog) but a good companion and friend non the less. But I digress...
  7. For an elderly woman, I do think getting a good dog would be an excellent choice. It doesn't have to be a "mean" one, just one that is protective of its people. A lab is an excellent choice if the woman is able to handle a dog that large. As for weapons, I would go with a 20 gauge, or even a .410 bore if the 20 is too big for her to handle. If either of those is not a viable choice, even a good .22 auto or revolver would be a great deal better than nothing.
  8. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I must say, you guys are WAYYYYYY off base on this. :( A shotgun is a fine home defense weapon for someone with arm strength, coordination, and a modicum of skill. The elderly lady described sounds like she possesses none of these. So, why suggest weapons that are beyond her abilities?!

Also, a dog is a splendid idea but will do little to deter an armed invader.

Best suggestion... a wheel gun loaded with .38's. Dummy proof, reliable, deadly, and can be easily handled by elderly persons.

Pat Hurley
  9. Your point is well taken Pat, though I have to question whether even a .38 revolver would still not be too much for some elderly people, especially a snubbie revolver. I know my mom, who is now in her 80s, can no longer handle one effectively, though when she was younger she certainly could. I finally got her a small .22 for home defense. Not the most effective caliber, granted, but much better than nothing. I think it largely depends on how physically capable the elderly person is. A shotgun is an excellent choice-- even a .410 bore or 20 gauge--if the person using it is still able to handle the relatively mild recoil. An added advantage is that a shotgun has a certain intimidation potential and aiming is likely to be more efficient as well.
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Can you get a TASER in your locale?
  11. x3m

x3m New Member

i agree with the .22 , keep in mind that a person that is so gutless to attack a senior citizen probably wont have the stomach for a gunfight no matter how small the calibre
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

A. 22 semiautomatic rifle like a Ruger 10/22 is perfect. A .22 from a rifle length barrel is much more powerful than from a handgun, and the rifle is easier to shoot.
    Bill
  13. rosierita

rosierita New Member

if you are going to go the 22 route, i suggest a walther p22 w/ the laser! all she needs to do is shine that little red dot on them & i'm sure that will get their attention!:eek: ;) :)
  14. Bill DeShivs

How will an intruder see the little dot on his chest? Most people don't look at their own chests!
    Use a semi .22 RIFLE, not a handgun. Much more power, and easier to shoot/handle.
    Bill
  15. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i was thinking HEAD SHOT!:p ;) :D

seriously, i think the laser will be very noticable....

also, the walther p22 is very lightweight & would be easier to hold IMHO.
  16. Bill DeShivs

It would be much harder to see it on one's own head.
    Bill
  17. rosierita

rosierita New Member

how do you figger dat? :confused: that laser being shined at you is unmistaken IMHO...

the lady needs a lightweight, easily handled firearm regardless. i'm not sold on a rifle being the answer. w/ the rifle you could have a longer distance bt you, but i dont forsee anyone shooting an intruder from a longer distance.. i have been known to be wrong before tho.
  18. I have to agree with you, Rosie. Laser sights, in my opinion, are for James Bond movies, not real life.
  19. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

The only real answer is to take the lady to the range with a variety of handguns and shotguns, let her shoot them, and decide for herself what she is comfortable with.

Six years ago when I divorced and bought a house in town, a family friend took it upon himself to buy me a .38spl revolver for self defense. The only problem is that it's a "hammerless" DAO with a trigger pull of about 12lbs. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, because that heavy trigger pull is just too hard for my small hands. Gunsmith says the trigger can't be lightened, so basically all it's good for is a belly gun.

Don't fall into the same situation with this lady. If she's going to take the responsibilty of firearm ownership, she should also take the responsibility of choosing her own firearm.
  20. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A pair of size 13 work boots from the second hand shop a couple of very large steel bowls one with a little water and the other with a few crumbs of food placed by the door, Helps. Let the lady choice her own gun no matter what you or anyone else likes if she doesn't like it then it is almost useless.
    just my two cents