Home Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Tony22-250, Apr 28, 2009.

?

Which one would you pick and why?

Poll closed May 6, 2009.
  1. AR-15

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Benelli M4

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. H&K USP .45 ACP

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. S&W .357 Model 686

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

In a hypothetical situation you up stairs in your house at night and you hear some one or multiple people break in to your house. you open your gun safe and inside you have a choice of these firearms.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I personally have to say nothing says stop like 30 rounds of 5.56!
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok well first off i wouldnt even consider the AR and if i was to let loose with 30 rounds to kill off a couple or even 3 bg's i suspect i'd end up in jail 30 rds is over kill. besides any missed shots would kill the neighbors ? i'd pick the 45 only because less muzzle flash than a 357 and better suited for close quarters
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My first choice would not be any of the four listed above, but since you limited me to these four choices I had to vote for the .45, also for the same reasons. My .45 is on the night stand right now, with a 20 round mag in it, about a foot away from my shorty 12ga.
  5. Haligan

Haligan Active Member

Inside the house, shotgun. Loaded with good turkey load.
  6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Same here. I also have a couple of #4 buck rounds in the butt stock loops just in case.

The plan at my house (at least the old house) is that I grab the shotgun, load it and cover the stairway while my wife gathers the kids into the walk in closet (which could be a real chore since they are such sound sleepers) and calls 911. She locks the three of them in the closet, covers the door with a .38 and I make sure said bad guys are contained or otherwise dealt with while the cavalry is on the way.

One thing I decided early on is to avoid going down the stairs if at all possible. They are way to open and exposed, so, until the police arrive, I'm not going down and for sure no one is coming up. At least not without staining the carpet...
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

I have a 5 shot .357 Magnum sittling on the nightstand. I have it chambered with .38 HydroShock rounds. The AR might be too much and I think that the .38 JHP minimizes wall penetrations.

My Kimber .45 would be my second choice.
  8. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    none of the above.
  9. pawn

pawn New Member

+1 for shotguns
  10. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have a 686 but chose the .45. Reason is my concern about that bullet going too far, if I used the 357, I would have it loaded with .38s. I'd rather be using a .45 if I can't use the magnum rounds, houses are too cheap and too close together. Want the bad guy gone but not neighbors.
  11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

OK so what would you use???
  12. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Indoors, the shotgun
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

+1
  14. user

user New Member

SigSauer 226 DAK; the 229 is nice too, for those with more delicate hands.

Long guns = hard to move around door frames, cabinetry, appliances, or on the floor, especially when you want to do it quietly. Shotguns have too much recoil, and you do have to aim, not just sort of point in the right direction, especially at close range. Chambering a round makes a loud noise, such that bad guy is going to find cover and start shooting in your direction.

I'm a big fan of revolvers, but a reliable semiauto holds three times as much ammo and is easier to reload.

9mm makes a lot less flash/bang/recoil than .357's.

"Heavy is good; heavy is reliable. And if it does not work, you can hit him with it."

Oh, and get a dog or other alarm mechanism so you won't wake up looking down the barrel of your own gun.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  15. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

16. user

user New Member

"slugs" as in shotgun ammo? I use 'em for killin' bambi with a .30-06, and they work great for that.
  17. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I like a 41 mag for penetration. I know first hand a 41mag wild go through 1 wall, across the bathroon through another wall, into the closet, through a leather coat, a carnhart coat, throught the door and lodge itself in the bed frame. I was single and living alone, I had it loaded on the bed and was packing for a hunting trip, I was cooking a frozen pizza that I miss judged thetime on and the moke alarm went off. I tossed my tackle box of gun goodies on the bed hitting the hammer and the bloody thing went off. I proptly got the pizza outta the oven, tuned it off, unplugged the battery in the smokealarm, called my friends dad who was a minister of a baptist church and a firearm enthusiest, recieved a lecture and a prayer and i finished packing for my trip left the pizza on the counter for 6 days while I was gone. Sory about hijacking the thread but I felt I had to share that with you. I might add I was 19 and very very Irresponsible.
  18. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

Just a heads up on over-penetration, it has been shown that 5.56 / .223 is actually less lethal after penetrating a wall than a pistol round is in the same situation.

Not to say that it wouldn't still be extremely dangerous, but there is a misconception that pistol rounds would stop in a wall and rifle rounds would go through house after house.
  19. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Yes 12ga shot gun slugs.
  20. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Has to be a 12g pump with what we call AAA. Second choice buck shot.

I dont think is a home situation a shotgun can be bettered. Hard hitting and yet less over penetration issues than with ball.

If forced to choose from the list, the 686. The revolver would provide excellent reliability while the double action would make a hasty, nervous shot less likely.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009