Home Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Tony22-250, Apr 28, 2009.

?

Which one would you pick and why?

Poll closed May 6, 2009.
  1. AR-15

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Benelli M4

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. H&K USP .45 ACP

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. S&W .357 Model 686

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Yes, "self defense practice first." IDPA - some of it - is VERY good for practice - as it puts you under stress.....

I use to do long distance rifles as well - eyes aren't so good now, so the AR 15 is the only thing in my bag. With the newer scopes they have out today (along with angle cosign indicators and /or Palm Pilot .... ) I may have to give it another try. It is almost impossible to miss with all the new stuff they have out - and I would like to shoot on another NF Scope or the BORS with Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50mm - 66000-7WS

[​IMG]
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Thanks.

I agree. Here's why:

In duress, we revert to our lowest level of training.

If we aren't trained, we revert to our lowest level of practice.

If we practiced nothing, that is what will happen

Fights are not won by the best, they are lost by the worst.

On LE accuracy...most play lip service to shot placement. (You can teach real center-mass shot placement by teaching to shoot at the back of the threat. It can be demonstrated by hanging two targets, one 6" in front of the other. Then engage the front target from realistic angles. Pull down the front target and reveal how this business of aiming center-front can totally miss center-mass. A non-center-mass hit may be as ineffective as a hit to an extremity. Just hitting the torso is not enough.)

Even those who try to address training effectively usually only shoot stationary targets. Then when a real threat is engaged there is this new factor called 'motion'. As we know it, if you only shoot stationary targets, when you are presented with a moving target you will be engrossed by the target and oblivious of the sights.

Recently, Simunitions have really began being accepted by LE for training. New doors are opening. I'm thinking first round hit ratios are going to rise along with overall accuracy.

Last on learning shot placement is it takes a lot of shooting to get it at combat speed. It is a conditioned ability and a perishable skill.

To add on your last paragraph: You are right.

This is not a technology problem or equipment problem. It is a problem of training fundamentals and applications. And in there rests all the answers.

How do I train Ricky Bobby to hit a book sized target at the worst angle in low light while he is in a position of disadvantage and maybe trying to back peddle for room to do it? First I drill the basics in him daily. Then I make him apply the basics under duress with variety until he has the basics. Then I challenge him to refine the basics in conditions worse than he will fight in. His best day of training should be worse than his worse day in a fight. I won't stray from the basics because there's no such thing as an advanced gunfight.

On your first point, avoid a fight. It can't be reminded enough that you can win a gunfight and still end up as dead as the losers.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'm listening to Delta and Fudd here, with ears wide open. I'm not as experienced in gun battles maybe but I'm still alive through some hairy non-firearm type fights. Knives and sticks can KILL YOU BADLY. Luckily my martial arts instructors have included the "crazy 'Nam Vet" type fellows who really knew what to prepare the advanced students for. Mental prep is the number one thing, and it's not JUST mental prep...
    I won't claim to see any elephants though. Just maybe a hippo or three.