Home Insurance and reloading...

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Treeman53, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Treeman53

Treeman53 Member

Wife works for an insurance company, and an underwriter told her our Homeowners policy would be cancelled if I do reloading in my basement. Anybody know if this is true? Where can I find info on this?
  2. dammitman

dammitman Member

i wonder how many plans have somesomething written in small print.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    yes its possible they could but you need to read your policy for that.the other thing is yes they may cancell you but they would have to pay first if there was a fire. old semperfi
  4. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter New Member

The insurance people will cut you off at the knees if you are selling handloads. Way too much liability. I have a close familiy member with a very large agency. They are much more concerned about woodburners than hobby handloading. Black powder is another story in that it is rated as an explosive with specific storage requirements. Smokless is classed as a flamable-non explosive substance.
  5. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi
    I am an insurance assessor here in New Zealand however I would say it must be similar in most parts. Read all of your policy and if you arrange it through a broker ask them, if not talk to your insurer.

On the face of it (looking at policies over here) I could see no clause excluding this.

Cheers

Enfield
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In general, insurance policies have some kind of "hazardous activity" clause. Mine says that "Unless we agree beforehand, coverage is suspended if the hazard is substantially increased by any means under the control or knowledge" of the insured..."

Basically, that means they decide, after the fire, if your reloading increased the hazard. I doubt that normal reloading would be a problem unless the company has an anti-gun policy (many do, but won't tell you). Now if you had five thousand pounds of black powder in cardboard boxes and it went up, that might come to the attention of your insurance company. (Also anyone within ten miles!)

You have a couple of options. First is to write the insurance company or your local agent, telling them that you will be reloading and that you will comply with all local and state laws regulating that activity. You can also decide to comply with the standards set by the National Fire Protection Association, which has some limits on the amount of powder and how it is stored. If you do, make that clear to your insurance company.

You can also talk informally to the agent, but remember that anything not in writing is not binding on the company. If the company is hostile, then you can either take a chance and reload anyway, or try to find a more friendly company; their views do differ. Or you might be OK if you pay an increase in the premium to cover special cases. There is no way to know unless you ask, but do it before you set up for reloading.

Jim
  7. elliot_benedict

elliot_benedict Former Guest

I would crosscheck with my INSERT SPAM HERE home insurance[/URL] agent and make sure I know what the EXACT rules are, and keep them with me in writing. Incase of a claim at a later date I don’t want anybody backtracking.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  8. langenc

langenc Member

Read the policy. If it aint there then dont worry. If there is something that you dont understand, ask the agent or legal counsel. If it aint there they would have to pay--maybe after a long delay, but pay.
  9. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

A fellow I know had his house burn down to ashes in Nov. They were able to save only a part of a big gun collection. He had powder and ammo that exploded all night. Folks found spent ammo in their yards. Insurance no problem total loss they will being putting up a new home in the spring.

RC
  10. snake

snake New Member

I have been reloading for almost 40 years, I enjoy it plus I enjoy shooting as a hobby. Recently a friend asked to buy some of my ammo. It has me thinking what do I need to do to protect myself and my family if something were to happen - like if someone used my reload in a defective gun?
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

in Australia its a notifiable hobby ( pay extra on policy ) and even here NEVER SELL RELOADS , you just setting yourself up for troubles ..
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Selling your reloads would make you an ammo manufacturer, which requires a Federal Firearms License. That's the first place to start.
    You'll also need some significant liability insurance; however, insurance won't usually cover something you do illegally, so you have to get that FFL first.